Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Windows Defender problems. [SOLVED]

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Windows Defender problems. [SOLVED] Empty Windows Defender problems. [SOLVED]

Post by Guest Tue 23 Sep 2014, 17:53

Windows Defender is turned off and it wont start it gives an error "the windows defender service on local computer started and then stopped some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programmes"

Back to top Go down

Windows Defender problems. [SOLVED] Empty Re: Windows Defender problems. [SOLVED]

Post by Guest Tue 30 Sep 2014, 05:37

Hi arrnearrno! Smile

Sorry for the late reply. Do you happen to have another antivirus program installed? If you have one and it's running, it could be blocking Windows Defender and won't allow it to be enabled. You should check if you have another one and disable it, and uninstall it too if you don't want nor need it.

For the uninstallation, I recommend that you either use the Removal Tool specific for each antivirus, or use Your Uninstaller! Pro that you can get in our downloads server here:
http://www.games4theworld.org/downloads.html

Good luck, and please let us know how it goes! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Windows Defender problems. [SOLVED] Empty Re: Windows Defender problems. [SOLVED]

Post by The_gh0stm4n Tue 30 Sep 2014, 19:46

arrnearrno wrote:Windows Defender is turned off and it wont start it gives an error "the windows defender service on local computer started and then stopped some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programmes"

//MOVED

Hello again,

Yesm SeoY said the most important stuff already. But do you necessarily NEED this "Windows Defender" ? I never "un-installed" it, and had other stuff running alongside it.

For antivirus, I mostly used "Avast antivirus", due to its low need of system processing power (!) and its overall effectiveness. For Malware/Spyware, I used "Malwarebytes Anti-Malware" (available from G4TW, too) alongside "Spybot S & D" (the free version, google for it).
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 01 Oct 2014, 10:44

is windows defender important?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 01 Oct 2014, 13:13

arrnearrno wrote:is windows defender important?

Hi again. Smile

Depending on the version of Windows where you have it installed, Windows Defender can be an anti-malware (Windows 7 or before) or an antivirus (Windows 8 or 8.1).

It's just an alternative to the big list of programs that do the same thing. It would be from your part to choose if you want to use it (as it's built-in, or can be downloaded free), or use any other program out there. The programs Carlos mentioned are pretty good, it's up to you to decide whether to use Windows Defender or not. 

So no, it's not 'necessary' but it can be important if you don't have any other AV installed, which I assume you have because of the error you are getting.  Wink

Good luck!

Last edited by SeoY on Wed 01 Oct 2014, 20:14; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Wed 01 Oct 2014, 20:08

arrnearrno wrote:is windows defender important?

From my experience, I can say it's not that useful, when it comes to detecting security threats. It's in a way comparable to another Windows-embedded program called "Windows Media Player", in terms of usefulness. It may be not bad, but there are equally good or better third-party alternatives out there (VLC Media Player, WinAmp). Though that's not "security"-software, you get the analogy. 

Back to topic...if you have other "security"-software that do the job for you, you should be able to live without Windows Defender. Wink  Like the programs I mentioned in my last post.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 03 Oct 2014, 10:16

okay thankyou Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Fri 03 Oct 2014, 20:59

arrnearrno wrote:okay thankyou Very Happy

Sure, no problem. I think I can close this now. Smile  If you have another problem, feel free to open a new thread. Have fun !
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat 04 Oct 2014, 22:58

Hi there,

Just want to note that if installing an anti-virus software will interfere with any other Windows services (like Windows Firewall), your anti-virus will usually recommend you to turn off that specific Windows service. (Or do it for you automatically)
For example, if you install an anti-virus software that has a built-in firewall, it'll automatically disable Windows Firewall, and use the anti-virus' firewall instead.
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator
GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder
G4TW RETIRED Adminator GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top