Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do I transfer saved files from one computer to another?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How do I transfer saved files from one computer to another? Empty How do I transfer saved files from one computer to another?

Post by Guest Thu 05 Feb 2015, 06:10

Hi guys,

I ordered a laptop and I'm going to receive it soon, and I wanted to know I could transfer my saved files from my computer to my laptop. 
Often I back up my document and installation folders using SyncToy just in case, and what it basically does is just 
copies and replaces the left folders onto the right. I might not have a USB big enough so I'm opting to use DropBox, 
if that is going to work? What I basically did was got my two backup folders (document and installation directories) 
and zipped them into a rar file, and uploaded them onto DropBox.

When I opened the RAR files I've noticed that the files are a little bit different, such as
new files ex:

How do I transfer saved files from one computer to another? WXGngyu

Are those files going to be deleted once I unzip the rar onto my laptop?, or
what affect does it have?

Also, is this the best way of doing it?, if not; what other method could I possibly use?
does putting the folders into a rar change it in anyway?
When I put the two folders onto my laptop, will it run just the same as it does my computer, or do I have to
reinstall/etc.

Back to top Go down

How do I transfer saved files from one computer to another? Empty Re: How do I transfer saved files from one computer to another?

Post by Guest Thu 05 Feb 2015, 17:38

Hi there, @marvinpunz! Smile

If you want to backup your Saved files and content from The Sims 4, then you only need the folder in Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4. The installation folder, located at Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4, shouldn't be transferred to the new computer. Copying this folder may cause problems in the future. Just backup the one in Documents.

And not only that, the only folders you need to take from inside the folder at Documents are Mods, saves, Tray, CustomMusic and Screenshots (if you had any of these last two). The rest of the folders and files will be generated on the new computer after you run the game for the first time. Copying files like the Config.log may cause trouble with the game in the new laptop, so it's best to leave all of the rest out. 

Using Dropbox is OK, but I've never experimented with SyncToy. As long as it works, you should be fine using that. How exactly are you adding all of the files to a RAR file? The benefit of doing this is that they are all "packed" together, making the transfer easier. If you do it correctly, that is.

Finally, yes, you need to reinstall the game in the new laptop. If you still have the torrent for the game, you can also transfer this to install it again. But if you don't, you'll have to re-download the torrent to install the game on it. Just copying the folder in Program Files won't work, and may cause unwanted results.

If you have any other questions, please let us know. Good luck! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

How do I transfer saved files from one computer to another? Empty Re: How do I transfer saved files from one computer to another?

Post by Guest Fri 06 Feb 2015, 04:09

SeoY wrote:Hi there, @marvinpunz! Smile

If you want to backup your Saved files and content from The Sims 4, then you only need the folder in Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4. The installation folder, located at Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4, shouldn't be transferred to the new computer. Copying this folder may cause problems in the future. Just backup the one in Documents.

And not only that, the only folders you need to take from inside the folder at Documents are Mods, saves, Tray, CustomMusic and Screenshots (if you had any of these last two). The rest of the folders and files will be generated on the new computer after you run the game for the first time. Copying files like the Config.log may cause trouble with the game in the new laptop, so it's best to leave all of the rest out. 

Using Dropbox is OK, but I've never experimented with SyncToy. As long as it works, you should be fine using that. How exactly are you adding all of the files to a RAR file? The benefit of doing this is that they are all "packed" together, making the transfer easier. If you do it correctly, that is.

Finally, yes, you need to reinstall the game in the new laptop. If you still have the torrent for the game, you can also transfer this to install it again. But if you don't, you'll have to re-download the torrent to install the game on it. Just copying the folder in Program Files won't work, and may cause unwanted results.

If you have any other questions, please let us know. Good luck! Very Happy

Thank you for letting me know about the certain folders I actually only need!
I right click the folder and then I click "Add to Sims 4.rar"

How do I transfer saved files from one computer to another? YkXkXFG

How do I transfer saved files from one computer to another? OFqEQyj

About the torrent for the game, is this the torrent? I downloaded this about a month ago and 
I don't know if the file was updated or not.

Do I just transfer the torrent file from my computer to my laptop?
And once I extract the rar from the torrent, I apply the latest fix, and then
add my mods/saved/tray and all that into the documents?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Feb 2015, 13:34

marvinpunz wrote:Thank you for letting me know about the certain folders I actually only need!

About the torrent for the game, is this the torrent? I downloaded this about a month ago and 

Hi again! Smile

Creating the RAR like that is fine. Just remember to only transfer the folders you need and leave the rest out.

That file you are showing is indeed the torrent file. But if you still have the The Sims 4.rar that torrent gave you, it's best to take that one instead. If you only pass the torrent file, then your torrent client will need to re-download the RAR anyway. 

After you have the RAR, then you need to extract it, install it with the Setup and apply the latest Ultimate Fix. Opening the game for the first time will generate the The Sims 4 folder at Documents. After it's created, copy your content folders (saves/Mods/Tray) to that location so the new ones are overwritten and replaced. That should be it then. 

Do let us know how it goes. Good luck! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 18 Feb 2015, 04:01

SeoY wrote:
marvinpunz wrote:Thank you for letting me know about the certain folders I actually only need!

Hi again! Smile

Creating the RAR like that is fine. Just remember to only transfer the folders you need and leave the rest out.

That file you are showing is indeed the torrent file. But if you still have the The Sims 4.rar that torrent gave you, it's best to take that one instead. If you only pass the torrent file, then your torrent client will need to re-download the RAR anyway. 

After you have the RAR, then you need to extract it, install it with the Setup and apply the latest Ultimate Fix. Opening the game for the first time will generate the The Sims 4 folder at Documents. After it's created, copy your content folders (saves/Mods/Tray) to that location so the new ones are overwritten and replaced. That should be it then. 

Do let us know how it goes. Good luck! Very Happy

Hello, 
after I install the game using the base torrent, do I just apply the latest Fix or do I have to do it one by one after each version?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 18 Feb 2015, 04:08

marvinpunz wrote:Hello, 
after I install the game using the base torrent, do I just apply the latest Fix or do I have to do it one by one after each version?

Hi again! Smile

The Ultimate Fix is accumulative, so all of the past versions are already included in it. Just download and apply the latest Ultimate Fix and you should be good.

Please, do let us know how it goes. Good luck! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

How do I transfer saved files from one computer to another? Empty Transfer Save Game

Post by Guest Mon 06 Apr 2015, 03:25

I have read through this thread, and I appreciate the help and support first off.  The problem I am having is when I click on documents there is no Ea folder (to eventually take me to Sims 4 folder) Instead my sims 4 folder is located in my HDD (which I believe is like a local disk since its listed next to local disk) and after clicking HDD there is still no EA folder, instead I click on program files than there is still no EA folder but there is a folder called The Sims 4 deluxe edition.  When I click on sims 4 deluxe edition folder I only see the following folders, __Installer Creators Guide Data Delta EP01 FP01 Game GP01 Soundtrack Support Uninstall and finally a read me text document(which is blank).  My sims 4 works fine on this computer and I also have Sims 4 get to work.  I simply want to take my save files and put them on another computer (while also not losing them on the first computer).  Basically me and my friend want to both be able to continue playing at the same time on different computers. 

Thank you!

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Mon 06 Apr 2015, 12:04

buffalobullsfan wrote:I have read through this thread, and I appreciate the help and support first off.  The problem I am having is when I click on documents there is no Ea folder (to eventually take me to Sims 4 folder) Instead my sims 4 folder is located in my HDD (which I believe is like a local disk since its listed next to local disk) and after clicking HDD there is still no EA folder, instead I click on program files than there is still no EA folder but there is a folder called The Sims 4 deluxe edition.  When I click on sims 4 deluxe edition folder I only see the following folders, __Installer Creators Guide Data Delta EP01 FP01 Game GP01 Soundtrack Support Uninstall and finally a read me text document(which is blank).  My sims 4 works fine on this computer and I also have Sims 4 get to work.  I simply want to take my save files and put them on another computer (while also not losing them on the first computer).  Basically me and my friend want to both be able to continue playing at the same time on different computers. 

Thank you!

Hello and welcome to the forum,

Normally, you are supposed to open a new thread for your issue(s) instead of posting under someone else's topic. But OK. As for your question: did you START the game at least once ? If not: there is no reason for you to transfer the folder over to another computer.

You ONLY transfer the folder if you want to play with your stuff (savefiles, mods, etc.), on another machine.

If you did start the game once, and want to move the folder now, please make sure to actually look in the right location:

C:\Users\(your username)\My Documents\Electronic Arts and then the folder "The Sims 4". Good luck !
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top