Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to play the sims 4 from an external hard drive

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How to play the sims 4 from an external hard drive Empty How to play the sims 4 from an external hard drive

Post by Guest Fri 19 Jun 2015, 02:42

I followed the guide posted and installed the sims 4 on my external hard drive, but now I'm trying to figure out how to run my custom content from the external hard drive as well.

Back to top Go down

How to play the sims 4 from an external hard drive Empty Re: How to play the sims 4 from an external hard drive

Post by The_gh0stm4n Fri 19 Jun 2015, 02:47

lovur wrote:I followed the guide posted and installed the sims 4 on my external hard drive, but now I'm trying to figure out how to run my custom content from the external hard drive as well.

Hello and welcome to the forum,

Are you able to start the game ? If so, your CC items and mods should still be there. The fact that you moved the installation folder of Sims 4 to a different drive should not affect your CC, mods, savefiles, and such. No need for you to do anything "extra".

You still need to put your CC items in the default location C:\Users\(your username)\My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\Mods. See also this guide here for an introduction on how to install CC items correctly. Good luck !
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

How to play the sims 4 from an external hard drive Empty Re: How to play the sims 4 from an external hard drive

Post by Guest Fri 19 Jun 2015, 06:07

I'm able to start the game, but my question is how to run my sims 4 with custom content on my external hard drive. I don't want to keep the custom content in the default My Documents location, i want it on an external hd.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Fri 19 Jun 2015, 06:22

lovur wrote:I'm able to start the game, but my question is how to run my sims 4 with custom content on my external hard drive. I don't want to keep the custom content in the default My Documents location, i want it on an external hd.

Alright.
https://games4theworld.forumotion.com/t17437-redirecting-the-username-folder-the-sims-3-to-a-different-location

I wrote this guide back then for The Sims 3, however, you can still apply the procedure to (almost) any other folder too. Just keep in mind that personally, I do NOT recommend this to the average person, because a lot can go wrong here.

Why would you want to have the folder on a different hard-drive anyway ? Unless your C: drive is REALLY tiny (e.g. your C: drive is one of these "SSD drives" with little filespace), there is no practical reason - in my eyes at least - to have the stuff on a different drive. But OK, as you wish: I linked you to the guide, and that's all I can do.

Also remember that I don't assume any liability either if anything goes wrong for you - do this procedure from the link at your own risk. Good luck. Smile 
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top