Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Sims on external hard drive. [SOLVED]

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Sims on external hard drive. [SOLVED] Empty The Sims on external hard drive. [SOLVED]

Post by Guest Fri 01 Mar 2019, 16:55

Hi, quick question: is it possible to play the game without having it on my hard drive, instead using an external hard drive? I don't have my laptop anymore, it died a few months ago, and I don't want to put it on my brother's computer, he doesn't have the space. So, is it possible to keep it on the external hard drive or I definitely need to put it on C://Progams?

Back to top Go down

The Sims on external hard drive. [SOLVED] Empty Re: The Sims on external hard drive. [SOLVED]

Post by Guest Fri 01 Mar 2019, 17:59

Yes you can install it anywhere (I have all my Sims 1,2,3,4 games on an external drive.
Sims 1,2 and 3 require a new installation where you select your external drive on installation.

Sims 4 is slightly different.
When you have the Sims 4 on another computer, simply copy the Folder The Sims 4 from C:\Program Files to your external drive.
If you must install The Sims 4 from scratch, download the latest all-in-one and when download is finished copy the folder The Sims 4 from your download to your external drive.
See https://www.games4theworld.club/t32895-the-sims-4-all-in-one-including-seasons-version-1-44-77-1020#

Back to top Go down

The Sims on external hard drive. [SOLVED] Empty Re: The Sims on external hard drive. [SOLVED]

Post by Guest Fri 01 Mar 2019, 18:08

Edit:
Link to the all in one is THIS

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 01 Mar 2019, 19:08

Oh, okay, thank you! I already have The Sims 4 on my old laptop. I will put it on the hard drive, then.
Instead, The Electronic Arts folder on Documents must still be on the computer, right? I can't put that on the hard drive too, right?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 01 Mar 2019, 20:05

Actually you can. First I advise to assign a letter to your external drive so it's always the same: https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-assign-a-drive-letter-in-windows-10/

For example set it to "S:", like Sims.

Then move your "The Sims 4" folder from "Electronic Arts" to, for example, "S:\Data"

Then go back to "Electronic Arts" folder and create a junction:
1. open command prompt in this folder (fastest way is to click on location bar and type cmd)
2. type
Code:
mklink /j "The Sims 4" "S:\Data\The Sims 4"

And you're done! No files stored on computer, just the junction.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 01 Mar 2019, 21:37

Wow! Wait a minute, so... I just need to have both the game and the documents folder into the same hard drive, right? No need for a specific folder? I will try right now, thank you!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 01 Mar 2019, 21:52

Hmm... it didn't work. I typed your code and then the path I used (G:\Backup\The Sims 4). The game started just fine, but without my savings and stuff.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 01 Mar 2019, 22:12

Nevermind. I made a mistake the first time. It worked like a charm. Thank you so much!!!

PS: Sadly, I can't find a button to edit my posts.  WhatDidUJustCallMe?

Gatekeeper Edit: problem solved, topic closed. We also disabled the ability for users to edit their own messages, except in some special Forum sections.

- The_gh0stm4n

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top