Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trying to play Sims 3 on a Low Spec PC...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Trying to play Sims 3 on a Low Spec PC... Empty Trying to play Sims 3 on a Low Spec PC...

Post by Sim Architect Fri 04 Dec 2015, 13:40

Hi there! How are you all?

I just wanted to drop you a line letting you know that I am trying to play with Sims 3 again, now that my 4GB of DDR2 arrived (6 GB of RAM total), but still too slow Sad

I may get a better computer (loan too) soon, let's hope I do, because it seems my current machine isn't good enough Sad

Here's the view of my last creation (incomplete), which is supposed to be a hotel when it's ready Smile

Trying to play Sims 3 on a Low Spec PC... CkAEFN8

Here are the basic specs of my pc:

Trying to play Sims 3 on a Low Spec PC... CnVqUmd

Trying to play Sims 3 on a Low Spec PC... AAf7SEN Trying to play Sims 3 on a Low Spec PC... KoYkuv3

Settings already on "low" (or medium). Changed them to high, no difference in performance, so I guess my processor is the culprit Sad

Resolution 1280 x 800. I didn't even start recording video or anything like that (it will be even slower when I do).

Ideas? I hope to release my town before Christmas, as promised. It will be very incomplete, but you'll be able to play with it, hopefully, if you have a good machine.

Tea 5 Tea 5
Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator
The Gray Eminence :p
G4TW HONORARY Moderator The Gray Eminence :p

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Plants vs Zombies, The Sims 3, Cities Skylines, The Sims 4

Male

Back to top Go down

Trying to play Sims 3 on a Low Spec PC... Empty Re: Trying to play Sims 3 on a Low Spec PC...

Post by Guest Fri 04 Dec 2015, 15:46

I'm trying to play The Sims 3 on a mid-range PC, and it runs worse than Arkham Knight... so yeah.

Back to top Go down

Trying to play Sims 3 on a Low Spec PC... Empty Re: Trying to play Sims 3 on a Low Spec PC...

Post by The_gh0stm4n Mon 07 Dec 2015, 12:42

Sim Architect wrote:Hi there! How are you all?

It's probably a stupid question, but did you already apply the 4GB patch, to your TS3W.exe ? You need to do that in order to enable the game to access more RAM. By default, I think the game is only going to use 2GB. With the "patch", it will then be able to use up to 4GB of the available RAM. See this here:

http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

Also, it's probably less relevant if you have a weak computer, but I would still check on this here too:
https://games4theworld.forumotion.com/t21716-an-introduction-to-fps-in-the-sims-3-updated-on-25-11-2015

Make sure to configure your graphics card accordingly, i.e. to activate vertical synchronization !
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sim Architect Mon 07 Dec 2015, 12:56

Thanks, @Carlos!

I had my Documents in my hard drive instead of the SSD, so I changed that (it helped a tiny bit).

It feels that what is dragging the game it the data processing and not the graphics, since it is much better after the 10 minutes it takes to load my huge neighborhood.

I thought the game had the 4GB patch, thanks for letting me know we still need to do it (mine was using always less than 1 GB of RAM).

I will try it now and I will let you know if the game performs better, thanks!
Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Tue 08 Dec 2015, 02:40

Sim Architect wrote:I thought the game had the 4GB patch, thanks for letting me know we still need to do it (mine was using always less than 1 GB of RAM).

The game is still a 32-bit application, so by default, it will only use up to 2GB of your total RAM. If you have more RAM modules (and fulfill the other requirements, like a 64-bit OS), then you should apply the 4GB patch. Doesn't take too much to do it, and it will make a huge difference. At least it did for me. Smile
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 08 Dec 2015, 23:13

Carlos wrote:
Sim Architect wrote:I thought the game had the 4GB patch, thanks for letting me know we still need to do it (mine was using always less than 1 GB of RAM).

The game is still a 32-bit application, so by default, it will only use up to 2GB of your total RAM. If you have more RAM modules (and fulfill the other requirements, like a 64-bit OS), then you should apply the 4GB patch. Doesn't take too much to do it, and it will make a huge difference. At least it did for me. Smile

Up to 4GB*

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Thu 10 Dec 2015, 04:48

Anarchy wrote:
Up to 4GB*

I still think that the TS3W.exe, again, by default (!), cannot access the full 4GB, unless you enable this "switch". Either with the 4GB patch or any other similar tweak. But yes, once it's done, every 32-bit program can use a maximum of 4GB RAM.

Maybe some 32-bit executables come pre-patched already, but TS3 doesn't.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 10 Dec 2015, 14:13

Carlos wrote:
Anarchy wrote:
Up to 4GB*

I still think that the TS3W.exe, again, by default (!), cannot access the full 4GB, unless you enable this "switch". Either with the 4GB patch or any other similar tweak. But yes, once it's done, every 32-bit program can use a maximum of 4GB RAM.

Even 64bit apps sometimes don't use a full 4GB of RAM. Hell even games that require 6GB minimum sometimes don't. On a 64bit OS, 32bit apps should be able to use UP TO 4GB of RAM. On 32bit OS, they can't because they're limited by the OS as well (if Windows reserves 500 MB  or so, that leaves the app with 3.5GB).

Back to top Go down

Post by Sim Architect Thu 10 Dec 2015, 14:14

Carlos wrote:
Anarchy wrote:
Up to 4GB*

I thought the ultimate fix was patched already, really interesting. I gotta try the game yet, sorry for my delay...
Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sim Architect Tue 22 Dec 2015, 03:26

Thanks again, Carlos! It seems my bottleneck is the processor (Core 2 Duo E4500 @2.20 GHz 64 Bit). The game uses almost 100% of it sometimes and, for some reason, it's not using more than about 850 MB or so of RAM (it IS using more RAM after it gets unstuck, it takes between 10 and 20 minutes to load my World, which is pretty large with 3 or 400+ lots and I have all store content installed, but no sims playing there yet and most lots still empty) and it takes forever loading my town, even after I did all those steps you mentioned (not sure it was using more before?).

The game usually works much better after it finishes loading the world, and it's even playable (at least under edit Town / building mode).

I changed the sims.ini file to give me maximum memory of 40000000 (weird, it looks like 40 GB instead of 4 GB, but the original configuration was 20000000 and I also found several posts around the web with the same info so, since I have 6 GB and 4+ GB of free RAM, I went for it).

Below is my sims.ini file content... If you see anything else that I should have done, please let me know Very Happy

Anyway, only if you get an easy idea, otherwise don't break much of a sweat, since I will get a better "loaner" computer soon enough and it may fix my problem.

Cookie from Carlos Cookie from Carlos
Tea 5 Tea 5

sims.ini:
Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top