Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

S3PE changing package file associations D: [SOLVED]

View previous topic View next topic Go down

S3PE changing package file associations D: [SOLVED] Empty S3PE changing package file associations D: [SOLVED]

Post by Guest Fri 29 Jan 2016, 10:31

I downloaded S3PE in an effort to merge .package files seeing as i have so many of them, but i accidentally clicked the option to "associate .package files with S3PE" when installing. Now none of my mods will load, and i have a feeling that it's because the Sims 3 no longer tries to read the package files in my Mods folder; they're all going to S3PE now   Crying or Very sad 

So my problem is actually really small, but it's stopping me from playing my favourite game, and I really have no idea how to fix it. I hopelessly tried to 'open with' ts3w.exe but it didn't work. I suppose all i need to fix this problem is to find the default assignment for the .package files..?

I really hope I can fix this as i honestly have no idea how i managed to install all my EPs and update to the latest version (mine is 1.67.2.024017 by the way), and reinstalling will be a royal pain. Was I right with thinking it's all S3PE's fault? Or will fixing this require lots and lots of time?

PS: Sorry if i posted in the wrong section! I created this account just for this post  Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

EDIT: How i know that none of my mods are loading is that the mods pop up doesn't show when i open the game, and when i load my family all of my very important mods are gone (such as my Bayside laundry and dryer set, my Monte Vista oven, and many store clothes)

Last edited by Edin ElDi on Sun 14 Feb 2016, 09:45; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : More detail)

Back to top Go down

S3PE changing package file associations D: [SOLVED] Empty Re: S3PE changing package file associations D: [SOLVED]

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sat 30 Jan 2016, 08:37

ulyssesdivide wrote:I downloaded S3PE in an effort to merge .package files seeing as i have so many of them, but i accidentally clicked the option to "associate .package files with S3PE" when installing. Now none of my mods will load, and i have a feeling that it's because the Sims 3 no longer tries to read the package files in my Mods folder; they're all going to S3PE now   Crying or Very sad 

So my problem is actually really small, but it's stopping me from playing my favourite game, and I really have no idea how to fix it. I hopelessly tried to 'open with' ts3w.exe but it didn't work. I suppose all i need to fix this problem is to find the default assignment for the .package files..?

I really hope I can fix this as i honestly have no idea how i managed to install all my EPs and update to the latest version (mine is 1.67.2.024017 by the way), and reinstalling will be a royal pain. Was I right with thinking it's all S3PE's fault? Or will fixing this require lots and lots of time?

PS: Sorry if i posted in the wrong section! I created this account just for this post  Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

EDIT: How i know that none of my mods are loading is that the mods pop up doesn't show when i open the game, and when i load my family all of my very important mods are gone (such as my Bayside laundry and dryer set, my Monte Vista oven, and many store clothes)

Hello @ulyssesdivide and welcome to the forum,

That's a very interesting problem, the likes of which I haven't seen yet. But it's always nice to hear about unknown stuff ! As for the problem, I'm unsure though how to reply. Maybe you could give the guide here a try:
http://www.howtogeek.com/171932/how-do-you-remove-a-default-file-association-in-windows-7/

Good luck for now, and keep us posted !

P.S. you should only merge things such as CAS items (hair, clothing, skintones, etc.) and build/buy-mode objects. Do NOT merge script mods !
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

S3PE changing package file associations D: [SOLVED] Empty Re: S3PE changing package file associations D: [SOLVED]

Post by Guest Fri 12 Feb 2016, 08:16

Thanks for replying, and sorry that this reply is so late. I only merged some premium Store content (just clothes and hair, possibly build/buy) that I downloaded online, maybe that could be the problem? I got rid of the merged file, thinking that it would solve the problem, and replaced all of the files that I've merged with an old backup. The .package files still aren't being read, though. Sad

PS: I'm not very computer-savvy, how do I find the registry? (I'm running Windows 8 )

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Fri 12 Feb 2016, 13:16

ulyssesdivide wrote:Thanks for replying, and sorry that this reply is so late. I only merged some premium Store content (just clothes and hair, possibly build/buy) that I downloaded online, maybe that could be the problem? I got rid of the merged file, thinking that it would solve the problem, and replaced all of the files that I've merged with an old backup. The .package files still aren't being read, though. Sad

PS: I'm not very computer-savvy, how do I find the registry? (I'm running Windows 8 )

Hello again,

No problem at all; feel free to post back whenever your time (and motivation Very Happy ) allow it. Most of the year, there are at least 2 or more active Helpers on here anyway, to help out with new posts & topics. 

You can open the registry by pressing the Windows key + R on your keyboard. In the small window that comes up, type regedit and hit enter. This will get you into the registry.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 13 Feb 2016, 09:03

This may be a stupid question, but what do I do after that? Do I rifle through all the sub-folders (OpenWithList, OpenWithProgids and UserChoice) and delete everything inside? Or do I just delete the single file in the .package folder?   Shocked Shocked The file I'm talking about is called Default and it's a REG_SZ file (whatever that is..?)

S3PE changing package file associations D: [SOLVED] Sims11

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sat 13 Feb 2016, 09:47

Right-click on the .package entry in your screenshot and select "Delete". Then also navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and see if there is a sub-entry for .package. If yes, delete that in the same fashion.

Re-boot your computer and see if the file type association is gone now. Smile
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 14 Feb 2016, 09:38

Well, I'm really embarassed to say this, but I've found what the -actual- problem was! :$ :$ I'd accidentally moved Resource.cfg into one of my Mods folder's subfolders. So the game didn't even know I had mods. i guess using S3PE was just a coincidence. Thanks for the help anyways  Very Happy Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ Sun 14 Feb 2016, 09:44

Hello,

Oh well, these things happen. Glad to hear it's working now.
Don't hesitate to post of you have a problem again.
Happy simming The Sims Plumbob 1 topic closed.
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix
First Lady / Commander-In-Chief
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix First Lady / Commander-In-Chief

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top