Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Makin' Magic Error with The Sims Complete Collection. [SOLVED]

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Makin' Magic Error with The Sims Complete Collection. [SOLVED] Empty Makin' Magic Error with The Sims Complete Collection. [SOLVED]

Post by Guest Fri 19 Feb 2016, 07:53

Hello everyone. I am currently running on Windows 10, and have an issue with launching The Sims Complete Collection. It is worth noting that I have looked into similar threads on this site, only to find the link to a video that was taken down.

I am having an identical error to those who could not start their game due to a bug with the "Makin' Magic" expansion where when I go to open the game, it says I need to download some form of update for it since I installed an expansion pack after it. I already had enough issues with transferring the game onto this computer. I had to download it on my dad's computer (Windows 7), then put it onto a Flash Drive and move it to my computer (Windows 10). I tried downloading the No-Disc EXE file that I found elsewhere on the internet, and that's when the error pops up. Windows 10 doesn't load the setup disks, so that's why I had to transfer files over Via USB Drive. I personally do not have a working disk drive with this computer, so I am unable to put the disks in and see if it works that way. I am very frustrated with this, as I just spent a bunch of money to get the Complete Collection. Can someone help me? (And yes, I've tried reinstalling the files, but the same error pops up).

Thanks in advance!

Back to top Go down

Makin' Magic Error with The Sims Complete Collection. [SOLVED] Empty Re: Makin' Magic Error with The Sims Complete Collection. [SOLVED]

Post by The_gh0stm4n Fri 19 Feb 2016, 18:16

Hello and welcome to the forum @syythe2,

Indeed, in your case you should try using the NoCD-file for running the game, instead of optical discs.

Right-click on the Sims.exe (that is or should be the NoCD-file) and go to Properties. Under the "compatibility"-tab, change it into something 'earlier', like Windows XP. Please save those changes by clicking on "Apply".

After that, please right-click on the Sims.exe and select "run as Administrator". See what - if any - effect this has on your game. Good luck for now !
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Makin' Magic Error with The Sims Complete Collection. [SOLVED] Empty Re: Makin' Magic Error with The Sims Complete Collection. [SOLVED]

Post by Guest Fri 19 Feb 2016, 19:45

Hello! So I tried the fix you suggested, but to no avail. The error still pops up. However, I did get a bit more info on the issue.

I used the Torrent that you guys have on your site. But since I'm on Windows 10, the setup wouldn't work. I transferred the torrent to my dad's computer again, downloaded it onto his computer, and tried opening it. It worked! With high hopes, I put it back on the flash drive and put it onto my computer. However, when I went to open it, the same error came up for me! I'm thinking that "Makin' Magic" might install somewhere other than the Maxis folder during installation. Do you have any further ideas? I'm kinda lost at this point. It worked on my dad's Windows 7, but after the transfer, my computer had the same issue as before.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Fri 19 Feb 2016, 19:58

syythe2 wrote:Hello! So I tried the fix you suggested, but to no avail. The error still pops up. However, I did get a bit more info on the issue.

I used the Torrent that you guys have on your site. But since I'm on Windows 10, the setup wouldn't work. I transferred the torrent to my dad's computer again, downloaded it onto his computer, and tried opening it. It worked! With high hopes, I put it back on the flash drive and put it onto my computer. However, when I went to open it, the same error came up for me! I'm thinking that "Makin' Magic" might install somewhere other than the Maxis folder during installation. Do you have any further ideas? I'm kinda lost at this point. It worked on my dad's Windows 7, but after the transfer, my computer had the same issue as before.

Please make sure to un-install everything related to The Sims 1 on your computer. Use the program I uploaded here (follow the included instructions regarding the install):
https://goo.gl/NOuXXT

Open the program and in the main window look for all stuff related to The Sims 1. Double-click on each item (if there is more than 1), and always choose "Super mode". Follow the on-screen instructions. Once you removed all items that way, re-boot the computer.

And then re-install again.

On a personal note, I haven't tested the game yet on Windows 10 (only tried it on Windows 7 thus far). As for me, I can't say I have had any (severe) problems with Windows 10 most of the time. I did have some difficulties recently, but they were fixed in the meantime. But I also have to say that I did a lot of tweaks to avoid problems beforehand. Tweaks which the average person may not be aware of, and that's where many users seem to have difficulties.

Nearly everybody wants to "upgrade" to Windows 10, but you really got to do a lot of tweaking to avoid issues. If you can't get it working on Windows 10, I'm afraid there isn't much else I can suggest. I do know that running the game as Administrator and in compatibility mode helped for a number of users on Windows 8, back then. But if it doesn't work for you, I'm afraid you will need to play the game on another computer - or install Windows 7. 
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 20 Feb 2016, 16:53

I just wanted to thank you for all of your help. I ended up downloading a Virtual Machine to run Windows XP. From there I installed The Sims Complete Collection without any errors. Thanks for taking the time to help me! I'll be sure to sneak around the forums and post as I endure the difficulty of the original Sims.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sat 20 Feb 2016, 17:30

syythe2 wrote:I just wanted to thank you for all of your help. I ended up downloading a Virtual Machine to run Windows XP. From there I installed The Sims Complete Collection without any errors. Thanks for taking the time to help me! I'll be sure to sneak around the forums and post as I endure the difficulty of the original Sims.

That's an interesting chain of events for sure, but I guess you seem to be able to play The Sims 1 now. Since your problem appears to be resolved for the moment, I will lock the topic. Feel free to open a new topic in the future in case of any other problems or PM me if you want this thread to be re-opened.

Hope you'll have fun nonetheless !  Carlos is tha man
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top