Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Black Plumbob and speed keys not working?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Black Plumbob and speed keys not working? Empty Black Plumbob and speed keys not working?

Post by Guest Sat 02 Apr 2016, 17:14

OK, so I reinstalled all of the Sims 4 through G4tW and, at first, it wouldn't let me in and I found the fix for that, but now the Plumbob is black and I am unable to switch the game speeds through 0-3. I have tried all of the fixes suggested through normal topics but nothing seems to work, not the Escape key twice, not the P button, nothing so far. The only thing I can think of is that I downloaded or installed wrong.

Back to top Go down

Black Plumbob and speed keys not working? Empty Re: Black Plumbob and speed keys not working?

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sun 03 Apr 2016, 21:17

Karaliynn wrote:OK, so I reinstalled all of the Sims 4 through G4tW and, at first, it wouldn't let me in and I found the fix for that, but now the Plumbob is black and I am unable to switch the game speeds through 0-3. I have tried all of the fixes suggested through normal topics but nothing seems to work, not the Escape key twice, not the P button, nothing so far. The only thing I can think of is that I downloaded or installed wrong.

//MOVED

Hello again,

You can try navigating into Documents\Electronic Arts\ and change the folder name of "The Sims 4", into anything (else) that you prefer. Then start up The Sims 4, make a new save for now and see if the glitch has gone.

I recall a user mentioning outdated mods as a possible cause for the speed glitch, so you may as well also double-check your mods/CC. Good luck !
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Black Plumbob and speed keys not working? Empty Re: Black Plumbob and speed keys not working?

Post by Guest Mon 04 Apr 2016, 17:29

Carlos wrote:
//MOVED

Hello again,

You can try navigating into Documents\Electronic Arts\ and change the folder name of "The Sims 4", into anything (else) that you prefer. Then start up The Sims 4, make a new save for now and see if the glitch has gone.

I recall a user mentioning outdated mods as a possible cause for the speed glitch, so you may as well also double-check your mods/CC. Good luck !
I actually don't have it in the EA folder, the directions said to change it to program files. I have started a new file and, unfortunately, it does not fix the problem. I am not currently using any mods or ccs. Looks like I will just have to try to re-install. 
Thank you though!

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Mon 04 Apr 2016, 19:39

Karaliynn wrote:I actually don't have it in the EA folder, the directions said to change it to program files. I have started a new file and, unfortunately, it does not fix the problem. I am not currently using any mods or ccs. Looks like I will just have to try to re-install. 
Thank you though!

Are you sure you renamed the correct folder ?

Black Plumbob and speed keys not working? Screen16

Navigate to the location highlighted in the screenshot, and you will definitely see a folder named The Sims 4. I suggested renaming the folder because your glitch might be caused due to corrupted savefiles or cache. My screenshot shows the actual contents inside the folder, since I did not have a better screenshot at hand. But you need to go to the location C:\Users\(your username)\Documents\Electronic Arts. There is a folder named "The Sims 4", and you should rename it.

Also, try familiarizing yourself with the difference between these 2 different folder locations: the "Program files"-directory contains the stuff that is absolutely necessary for the game to run - namely the files created during the installation of a piece of software. The "Documents"-directory, on the other hand, typically contains stuff that was created from the user. Things such as savefiles, custom content, screenshots, personalized settings, etc.

We see it time and time again that people mix up these two things, and grasping the differences can be of huge help when it comes to troubleshooting issues. Smile
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 04 Apr 2016, 20:27

I have zero mods, I actually figured out how to fix this particular problem, though; it was because I followed step 3 for this fix, https://games4theworld.forumotion.com/t20396-unable-to-start-the-contents-of-your-user-data-directory-were-created-by-a-newer-version-of-the-sims-4-updated-on-29-12-2015, and because in Default.ini there are the commands that state the hotkeys for speeds and the plumbob colors, all I needed to do was delete the lower part of the Default.ini, but preserving some of the other bits. I had to go through and give myself permission to do this though, but in the end it worked out.
Black Plumbob and speed keys not working? Sims_410

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Mon 04 Apr 2016, 20:51

I never noticed these color settings in that file. Very Happy  Though I'm still curious as to why those lines get changed in the first place. Maybe because certain graphics cards or system components tend to "not work so well" with The Sims 4 ? 

Anyhow, thanks a lot for sharing this with us ! I'm going to try some experiments with that file. Do you have any other question for the moment, or can I close this topic and mark it as "solved" ?
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 04 Apr 2016, 21:06

Carlos wrote:I never noticed these color settings in that file. Very Happy  Though I'm still curious as to why those lines get changed in the first place. Maybe because certain graphics cards or system components tend to "not work so well" with The Sims 4 ? 

Anyhow, thanks a lot for sharing this with us ! I'm going to try some experiments with that file. Do you have any other question for the moment, or can I close this topic and mark it as "solved" ?
I had the Sims 4 through Origin at one point and it was at the latest update, so I figured that it could have carried over and that's why I was having problems. But it was a quick fix! It is definitely solved, hopefully, this can be helpful for someone else down the road. Thanks Carlos!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top