Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How many expansions should I limit myself to on this laptop?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How many expansions should I limit myself to on this laptop? Empty How many expansions should I limit myself to on this laptop?

Post by Guest Sun 10 Apr 2016, 11:02

Hey there,

I've been thinking to reinstall sims 3. I've tried sims 4 and I got bored with it so back to 3 it is. But I'm not sure how many expansions is too many? So many shiny things to choose from Oh my....

Specs:
Win 7
i3-2310M CPU @2.10 GHZ, Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
4.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24) RAM
1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 7500/7600 Series 

What I've found on the web takes RAM as a reference point and with 4 GB I should be able to run between 4 and 6 expansions. But I'm rather iffy on that...
Also, my screen has rather bland colors and I was thinking to install SweetFX but I hear it needs a strong computer to run(again). I found a version that should(?) work on low performance devices. The website it's called burnt waffles.

Any advice? Help I'd rather not burn my laptop and I can't switch to a computer any time soon.

Back to top Go down

How many expansions should I limit myself to on this laptop? Empty Re: How many expansions should I limit myself to on this laptop?

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sun 10 Apr 2016, 11:15

Tsubaki2 wrote:Hey there,

I've been thinking to reinstall sims 3. I've tried sims 4 and I got bored with it so back to 3 it is. But I'm not sure how many expansions is too many? So many shiny things to choose from Oh my....

Specs:
Win 7
i3-2310M CPU @2.10 GHZ, Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
4.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24) RAM
1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 7500/7600 Series 

What I've found on the web takes RAM as a reference point and with 4 GB I should be able to run between 4 and 6 expansions. But I'm rather iffy on that...
Also, my screen has rather bland colors and I was thinking to install SweetFX but I hear it needs a strong computer to run(again). I found a version that should(?) work on low performance devices. The website it's called burnt waffles.

Any advice? Help I'd rather not burn my laptop and I can't switch to a computer any time soon.

//MOVED

Hello and welcome to the forum @Tsubaki2,

4-6 expansions (for now) sounds reasonable. I myself am running the game and all expansions, stuffpacks & store contents on an older desktop machine, that is "nominally" just slightly stronger than your laptop. Though of course, it's not a good comparison since you can't compare laptops and desktops. But as for me, I can run everything just fine. Of course, the loading of a savefile takes nearly 10 minutes, and I get occasional lags, but other than that, it's well-playable for me.

I know people with nominally stronger computers are having more difficulties in that...We also have various posts on the forum that can help improve performance of the game.

https://games4theworld.forumotion.com/t4692-game-lag-possible-fixes    ---> for general lag fixes

https://games4theworld.forumotion.com/t857-the-sims-3-crashes-freezes-to-desktop-fix-updated-on-30-01-2015    ---> where it says "4GB patch", please download the patch and apply it to the TS3W.exe, located in your Game\Bin folder of the base game install directory

https://games4theworld.forumotion.com/t21716-excessive-fps-rendering-in-the-sims-3-updated-on-16-12-2015   ----> I'm not sure how exactly AMD graphics cards work, although I posted a screenshot there too, but you should be able to turn on vertical synchronization there, to avoid frying your graphics card.

Good luck for now !
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

How many expansions should I limit myself to on this laptop? Empty Re: How many expansions should I limit myself to on this laptop?

Post by Guest Sun 10 Apr 2016, 11:38

Thanks for the answer Carlos. I've forgotten about some of them. They will definitely help.

What about SweetFX? Anyone here use it? I wonder if it's worth it.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sun 10 Apr 2016, 14:45

Tsubaki2 wrote:Thanks for the answer Carlos. I've forgotten about some of them. They will definitely help.

What about SweetFX? Anyone here use it? I wonder if it's worth it.

I never used this SweetFX myself, but if you want to use it, you might want to upgrade your laptop's RAM to about 8GB or so. That way you should have enough for TS3 and maybe some "extras" too, like this SweetFX.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 10 Apr 2016, 17:58

All right, thanks! I tip my fedora.

Back to top Go down

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ Wed 13 Apr 2016, 19:40

Hello,

Personally, I think I would simply see how far you can go. On this laptop, I would probably feel confident installing all of the expansions, and only uninstall one or more if problems actually occur. 
You will have to take measures to prevent your laptop from overheating, as you would playing any game. 
And if you want to stay on the safe side, you can stop unneeded processes before you start the game.
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix
First Lady / Commander-In-Chief
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix First Lady / Commander-In-Chief

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top