Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to install The Sims 4 on Linux.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How to install The Sims 4 on Linux. Empty How to install The Sims 4 on Linux.

Post by Guest Mon 09 May 2016, 17:33

I don't have permission to post on Fixes so I'll post here.

I always received lot of help from this community and would like to contribute.
I know G4TW doesn't support Linux but there are ways to install and run the game I found that it runs better than it used to run on Windows for me.

What you'll need:

• Latest version of PlayOnLinux
  • Latest version of Wine (I used 1.9.9-staging)
  • Winetricks (remove spaces after https)
    Code:
    wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Winetricks/winetricks/master/src/winetricks
    chmod +x winetricks

• Corefonts - after you have winetricks just open the terminal and paste/type this:  
    Code:
    sh winetricks corefonts

• OriginSetup.exe from Origin (not tested with OriginThinSetup, let me know if it works)
  • Zip version of the Origin update you downloaded (see how to get it below

How to install it:

I'm using the latest version of PlayOnLinux (currently 4.2.10).
I was having trouble with this installation. What worked for me:
* Go to Tools > Manage Wine versions on PlayOnLinux, select the latest one and click on > for it to be installed.
* Click on Install new program then Install non listed program on the bottom of the screen
* Install a new program in a new virtual drive
* Select options Use another version of Wine / Configure Wine / Install some libraries
* Select the wine version you installed
* Choose 32-bit installation (no matter whether your system is 32 or 64-bit)
* On Wine Configuration window go to Graphic tab and check all boxes. On Staging tab check Enable_CSMT.
* Choose libraries ending POL_Install_gecko, POL_Install_mono28, POL_Install_origin, POL_Install_vcredist2012 and POL_Install_vcredist2013.¹
* Browse OriginSetup and let it install. You can uncheck all boxes. Don't change the installation folder. If the application asks to restart the computer, wait until all the installation is finished and then click ok but don't restart your computer. The virtual drive takes care of it.
* Replace entire Origin folder from the content of the zip package of the update.²
* When prompted to create a shortcut, select the option with "Origin" only,  just in case you may need to check the application later.
* You'll be prompted to create another one, select "I don't want to create another shortcut".
* Install The Sims normally in the same prefix (Install new program ... Edit or update an existing application)

¹ I didn't manually install mono and gecko. When creating the virtual drive the program suggested to install these and I accepted.
² You can find the current release number on the bottom of the OriginSetup screen. Just replace the link accordingly. At the time I'm posting, this is the latest release:
http://download.dm.origin.com/origin/beta/OriginUpdate_9_12_1_43352.zip

I hope it helps Smile
I got to this solution with help of WineHQ and after a weekend of trying.
To install Get To Work just find the installation path on PlayOnLinux, selecting the installed application (Origin or The Sims) and Open the directory.
Extract the expansion folder on top of the previous installation.
I didn't try to install Get Together, if anybody tries it let me know how it goes.

Cheers!

Back to top Go down

How to install The Sims 4 on Linux. Empty Re: How to install The Sims 4 on Linux.

Post by The_gh0stm4n Tue 10 May 2016, 00:18

Hello and welcome to the forum,

Thanks for your efforts and this nice guide ! Smile  However, (this is meant for people reading the guide), please note that we cannot help with any follow-up questions that arise from it. See the announcement here, please:
https://games4theworld.forumotion.com/t22821-a-note-on-mac-linux-support-for-the-sims-4-please-read

//EDIT

Stickied and moved to Mac Support, since Linux & Mac are 'kind of' similar. I also fixed the links in your post, since new users cannot post links for the first 7 days after their registration, which is intended as a safety & spam-prevention measure. Also, normal users cannot submit/post in the "Fixes"-sections; any submissions are moved there by senior team members only.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top