Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Moving Sims 4 from C: Drive to F: Drive

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Moving Sims 4 from C: Drive to F: Drive Empty Moving Sims 4 from C: Drive to F: Drive

Post by Guest Sat 03 Mar 2018, 18:23

I followed the instructions found here https://games4theworld.forumotion.com/t19572-how-to-move-the-sims-4-to-another-partition-after-installation-fix and successful moved my Sims 4 game to the F: Drive. However, when I follow these instructions https://games4theworld.forumotion.com/t17437-redirecting-the-username-folder-the-sims-3-to-a-different-location and enter my version of the command line, it tells me that the directory cannot be found. I've tried everything I can think of so please let me know if you guys have any ideas! Thanks in advance Smile

Back to top Go down

Moving Sims 4 from C: Drive to F: Drive Empty Re: Moving Sims 4 from C: Drive to F: Drive

Post by Guest Sat 03 Mar 2018, 21:42

Maybe that directory is under the folder OneDrive

Back to top Go down

Moving Sims 4 from C: Drive to F: Drive Empty Re: Moving Sims 4 from C: Drive to F: Drive

Post by Guest Sun 04 Mar 2018, 00:43

Tarac wrote:Maybe that directory is under the folder OneDrive
I don't have onedrive set up on my PC. Also, the game is now saying it is running off the C: drive even though I followed all the steps to have it run from the F: drive.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sun 04 Mar 2018, 16:52

alicadigan wrote:I don't have onedrive set up on my PC. Also, the game is now saying it is running off the C: drive even though I followed all the steps to have it run from the F: drive.

Hello @alicadigan,

What exactly is it that you want to do...that does not seem to be too clear from your opening message. I get that you want to move the installation files of The Sims 4 to the F: drive. But beyond that...you should be fine?

The second guide that you linked to, refers to the username folder under Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4, which hosts your mods, savefiles, personalized settings. In general, and I think I wrote it under the guide that you linked to as well back then, I do not recommend using this tutorial unless you are damn sure you want this folder elsewhere. And in my opinion, this "damn sure" will in practice only be the case if you have a very tiny amount of filespace on C: and/or your username folder is very big, because e.g. of many mods.

In my opinion, just move the installation folder of TS4, create new desktop shortcuts, and you should be fine.

The guide about symbolic links stands as is, and there is really not much else I can add to it. Did you really type The Sims 4, in the command line prompts? Because of course the guide was written for TS3 back then. Another method you could try is to go under "Computer", right-click on the folder "Documents" and then "Properties". Under "Location", you should be able to re-direct the folder. But keep in mind this will re-direct your ENTIRE Documents-folder, not just the one about The Sims 4. It still could be an alternative shortcut though.

Other than that, feel free to do some additional googling about third-party tools that allow you to create symbolic links easier, in case you cannot get it working with the command prompt-method.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 05 Mar 2018, 15:33

Sorry for the late reply, basically what I'm trying to do is move my Sims 4 game and its documents folder (mods, etc.) to my Hdd from my Sdd because I have very limited Sdd space and I want to use it for Sims 3 with all expansions and Gta V, so I'd rather have my Sims 4 saves and mods and everything on my hdd instead. I followed both instruction pages for moving the actual game and moving the folder. Moving the game seemed to work but now all of a sudden it shows as being installed on my SDD again, i'm not sure why. I definetly used Sims 4 instead of Sims 3 in the command prompt but it still says the directory cannot be found.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Mon 05 Mar 2018, 16:54

alicadigan wrote:Sorry for the late reply, basically what I'm trying to do is move my Sims 4 game and its documents folder (mods, etc.) to my Hdd from my Sdd because I have very limited Sdd space and I want to use it for Sims 3 with all expansions and Gta V, so I'd rather have my Sims 4 saves and mods and everything on my hdd instead. I followed both instruction pages for moving the actual game and moving the folder. Moving the game seemed to work but now all of a sudden it shows as being installed on my SDD again, i'm not sure why. I definetly used Sims 4 instead of Sims 3 in the command prompt but it still says the directory cannot be found.

My immediate guess would be, that you did not type the command 100% correctly, but then I admit this is just a suspicion. Feel free to join the Forum's chatbox (on top of the main page) when you see me online. If you like then, we can look together at the issue through "TeamViewer". Smile
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top