Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Sims 4 puts my laptop on random Sleep/Lock

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Sims 4 puts my laptop on random Sleep/Lock Empty The Sims 4 puts my laptop on random Sleep/Lock

Post by Guest Fri 22 Nov 2019, 11:44

Hi, I just want to ask if anyone experienced having their laptop running Windows going into Lock/Sleep randomly?

Back to top Go down

The Sims 4 puts my laptop on random Sleep/Lock Empty Re: The Sims 4 puts my laptop on random Sleep/Lock

Post by The_gh0stm4n Wed 27 Nov 2019, 10:09

EmTheMan09 wrote:Hi, I just want to ask if anyone experienced having their laptop running Windows going into Lock/Sleep randomly?

Hello @EmTheMan09 and sorry for the belated reply,

While I can't really provide a solution to your problem, I have another suggestion. Maybe it will be more informative (for others), if you posted your computer's specifications. I've heard of some other people having that issue, starting up with the University DLC; maybe it's giving that problem only on specific hardware models.

So your laptop model, or if you use a desktop: Intel or AMD, motherboard model, RAM, graphics card, etc. 

But it's up to you of course. 

Red star from Carlos
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

The Sims 4 puts my laptop on random Sleep/Lock Empty Re: The Sims 4 puts my laptop on random Sleep/Lock

Post by Guest Fri 29 Nov 2019, 03:45

EmTheMan09 wrote:Hi, I just want to ask if anyone experienced having their laptop running Windows going into Lock/Sleep randomly?
This is a repost of my original response, because I couldn't seem to find an edit/delete comment button. If a mod could please delete my other comments on this thread, that would be super lovely! <3

A few questions:
-Does it go into both sleep and lock modes at once?
-Does it exit ot of the game before it does this?

As @The_gh0stm4n suggested, it would be helpful to know your computer's specs to be able to assess whether you're having a hardware issue, and install issue, or a bug issue.
Should you decide to post your specs, it would also be helpful for you to take this speed test because it's possible your RAM is capping out for whatever reason: https://www.speedtest.net/
Note that if you're currently downloading something, you'll want to exit out of your torrent software and turn your VPN off for the speed test, as the site won't let you use it with a VPN on.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 29 Nov 2019, 03:57

itchystitchies wrote:
This is a repost of my original response, because I couldn't seem to find an edit/delete comment button. If a mod could please delete my other comments on this thread, that would be super lovely! <3

A few questions:
-Does it go into both sleep and lock modes at once?
-Does it exit ot of the game before it does this?

As @The_gh0stm4n suggested, it would be helpful to know your computer's specs to be able to assess whether you're having a hardware issue, and install issue, or a bug issue.
Should you decide to post your specs, it would also be helpful for you to take this speed test because it's possible your RAM is capping out for whatever reason: https://www.speedtest.net/
Note that if you're currently downloading something, you'll want to exit out of your torrent software and turn your VPN off for the speed test, as the site won't let you use it with a VPN on.
Hi there, thanks for replying, here are the specs of the laptop I am using:

Processor : Intel Core i3-4030U Processor (3M Cache, 1.90 GHz)
Operating System : Windows 10 ver. 1039 64-bit
Chipset : Intel:registered: HM76 Express Chipset
Memory : 8GB LDDR3
Display : 14-inch 16:9 HD/GL/LED (1366x768)
Graphic :       nVidia GeForce 820m with 1GB DDR3 VRAM

Earlier releases were fine. I haven't had this issue. it's just recently after doing a fresh install after upgrading my laptop specs.
The sleep/lock happens at the same time since it turns off my display and I need to press the power button to turn it on again. Also, I need to reenter my pin to get back in. After logging in, the game is still running without loss in progress. The sleep/lock happens at no pattern - just randomly. Sometimes frequent, sometimes it doesn't go at all.

I tried the solution you can find online - w/c is to kill Origin from Task Manager right away after launching the game, but Origin is not even in the list of processes running.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 29 Nov 2019, 04:15

EmTheMan09 wrote:

Earlier releases were fine. I haven't had this issue. it's just recently after doing a fresh install after upgrading my laptop specs.
The sleep/lock happens at the same time since it turns off my display and I need to press the power button to turn it on again. Also, I need to reenter my pin to get back in. After logging in, the game is still running without loss in progress. The sleep/lock happens at no pattern - just randomly. Sometimes frequent, sometimes it doesn't go at all.

I tried the solution you can find online - w/c is to kill Origin from Task Manager right away after launching the game, but Origin is not even in the list of processes running.

Are you using any Origin installs at all? G4TW and Origin can't cross paths at all, whether it's install folders or running both programs at once.
Either way, which install packs are you using? It sounds like your CPU is overheating and turning itself off to protect your computer.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 29 Nov 2019, 07:51

itchystitchies wrote:
EmTheMan09 wrote:

Are you using any Origin installs at all? G4TW and Origin can't cross paths at all, whether it's install folders or running both programs at once.
Either way, which install packs are you using? It sounds like your CPU is overheating and turning itself off to protect your computer.

No, I have no Origin. I have all packs installed. It's weird cause this has not happened at all before my upgrade. It's not really turning off itself, but just going to sleep. I did the fresh install around the time the anniversary patch was released.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Fri 29 Nov 2019, 19:29

EmTheMan09 wrote:It's weird cause this has not happened at all before my upgrade.

It's the same with the vast majority of games that are being kept alive 'artifically' for years and years. The more (useless) updates you keep piling on top of the existing heap, the greater the chance of the new content messing with the old content's code. I.e. the more complex the entire game becomes, the more difficult it gets to fix problems. See also GTA Online.

EA have said they are planning to release many more DLCs for TS4, and to keep the game alive until the year ~2021. Feel free to duckduckgo that statement, as I don't have a link at hand right now. 

If you like The Sims 4 that much that you would keep playing it, the best thing to hope and watch out for are new hotfixes/patches.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 29 Nov 2019, 19:38

EmTheMan09 wrote:
itchystitchies wrote:
EmTheMan09 wrote:

No, I have no Origin. I have all packs installed. It's weird cause this has not happened at all before my upgrade. It's not really turning off itself, but just going to sleep. I did the fresh install around the time the anniversary patch was released.

Yeah, I know it's not turning itself off, that was just the easiest way to explain how CPUs deal with overclocking. And honestly, what you're describing sounds like that's exactly what's happening.

I'm wondering if maybe running the 32-bit version of the install might allow just enough of a break for your CPU that it will chill out on the forced sleep mode. I have a 64 bit laptop with ridiculous specs and I actually run TS4 on 32 bit and find it runs more smoothly. Which is silly, because my computer is more than capable of running the 64 bit version. Could be worth a shot.

//EDIT

PS: You won't need to reinstall to test it out.
Just go to The Sims 4/Game/Bin and run TS4.exe instead of Ts4_x64.exe

You'll need to start it as an administrator if it's your first time using the non 64 .exe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 01 Dec 2019, 14:47

itchystitchies wrote:
EmTheMan09 wrote:
itchystitchies wrote:
EmTheMan09 wrote:

Yeah, I know it's not turning itself off, that was just the easiest way to explain how CPUs deal with overclocking. And honestly, what you're describing sounds like that's exactly what's happening.

I'm wondering if maybe running the 32-bit version of the install might allow just enough of a break for your CPU that it will chill out on the forced sleep mode. I have a 64 bit laptop with ridiculous specs and I actually run TS4 on 32 bit and find it runs more smoothly. Which is silly, because my computer is more than capable of running the 64 bit version. Could be worth a shot.

//EDIT

You'll need to start it as an administrator if it's your first time using the non 64 .exe

Will try this now. Earlier the sleep/lock happened only once. I'm starting to think it's Windows 10 caused.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 03 Dec 2019, 00:05

EmTheMan09 wrote:
itchystitchies wrote:
EmTheMan09 wrote:
itchystitchies wrote:
EmTheMan09 wrote:

//EDIT

Will try this now. Earlier the sleep/lock happened only once. I'm starting to think it's Windows 10 caused.

I haven't had time to come back and check on this, but I realised I gave you bad info regarding the .exe solution: for DU there is no 32-bit option. If it keeps happening, my guess is that your processor can't keep up. If it is a Windows 10 issue, it's probably fixable in the settings.
Go to Settings > System > Power & Sleep
On the right there should be "Related Settings", under that go to "Additional Power Settings"
A window will pop up, on the left, hit "Choose when to turn off the display" then "Change advanced power settings"
Another window will pop up and you can hard-set screen settings from there.
Do the same with "Change when the computer sleeps"

I've had my computer sleep while watching Netflix and the basic power settings needed to be overridden there, but I haven't had much of an issue since then. Good luck!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top