Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Problem with extracting a RAR file using Stuffit Expander. [SOLVED]

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Problem with extracting a RAR file using Stuffit Expander. [SOLVED] Empty Problem with extracting a RAR file using Stuffit Expander. [SOLVED]

Post by Guest Sat 22 Dec 2012, 04:06

I downloaded the RAR file for Generations, and extracted it using Stuffit Expander (as recommended here). However, I got something like this:

Problem with extracting a RAR file using Stuffit Expander. [SOLVED] Stuffitexpander

As you can see, all the folders are "expanded" with ¥ mark. I then went on to create a .dmg file, but even after mounting the disk image, the installer application was still like this:

Problem with extracting a RAR file using Stuffit Expander. [SOLVED] Installerapp

Please note the size is "Zero bytes", and the installer could not be started even if I double-clicked it...

I guess if the extraction of RAR file is successful, you should get something like this (just ignore some Japanese words):

Problem with extracting a RAR file using Stuffit Expander. [SOLVED] Unrarx

I got this using UnRarX, but I still could not start the installer after creating .dmg file...

Could somebody help on this?? How can I properly extract RAR files using Stuffit Expander?? Maybe I got the wrong setting of Stuffit??

Back to top Go down

Problem with extracting a RAR file using Stuffit Expander. [SOLVED] Empty Re: Problem with extracting a RAR file using Stuffit Expander. [SOLVED]

Post by Guest Sat 22 Dec 2012, 04:37

Where did you download your version of Stuffit Expander from? The free version from the Mac App Store hasn't failed me yet, so try that one if you haven't already.

Do you get an error message when you try to launch the installer app after using UnRarX? What happens when you try to start the app? Does it just bounce in the dock?

This thread is helpful in making sure you followed all the steps correctly:
https://games4theworld.forumotion.com/t3936-installing-sims-3-showtime-on-mac-same-steps-for-other-expansions-or-stuff-packs

Back to top Go down

Problem with extracting a RAR file using Stuffit Expander. [SOLVED] Empty Re: Problem with extracting a RAR file using Stuffit Expander. [SOLVED]

Post by Guest Sat 22 Dec 2012, 08:51

Thanks for your post.
I downloaded Stuffit Expander from Mac App Store, but still the same results...

When I try to launch the installer app, I get nothing (no error message). The installer app icon appears at the dock for a very short time but disappears immediately, so I can't really see it bouncing...

I have been following the steps you mentioned, but the issue here is that I cannot get the proper installer app after extracting RAR file using Stuffit Expander.

I am a Japanese using a Japanese Mac OS system. Does it have anything to do with this issue?

Has anybody had the similar results as below using Stuffit Expander??

Problem with extracting a RAR file using Stuffit Expander. [SOLVED] Stuffitexpander

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 22 Dec 2012, 16:44

You downloaded Generations from G4TW, correct?

The 2009 version of Stuffit can be found here, if you haven't tried using it already:
http://download.cnet.com/StuffIt-Expander/3000-10440_4-10900381.html
-------------------
These probably aren't related to the issue (seems like purely an extraction problem,) but:
Do you have enough memory and space for the game?

You can check if your harddrive is hidden (which prevents installation)
0. Take any CD's / USB drives / iPods / connected disks out of the machine.
1. open Terminal (Applications/Utilities/...)
2. make sure you are using an Administrator account and have the password
3. type the following:
ls -lOd /
(That's lowercase ell, lowercase ess, space, minus, lowercase ell, capital oh, lowercase dee, space, forward slash)
4. You should get something like this:
hostname:~ username$ ls -lOd /
drwxrwxr-t@ 32 root admin hidden 1156 Feb 8 20:35 /
(note it says "hidden" instead of "-")
**if it doesn't say hidden, then this is not an issue for you and you can leave Terminal**
5. To fix this, type:
sudo chflags nohidden /
6. Type in your password when prompted.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 03 Jan 2013, 11:18

> You downloaded Generations from G4TW, correct?

Yes, I downloaded a torrent file from http://www.games4theworld.org.
(I presume the files for Mac are the same as those for PC)

I tried using the older versions of Stuffit Expander - 13.0.3 and 14.0.0, but the results remained the same...

> Do you have enough memory and space for the game?

I have 4GB memory and +100GB space in HD.

I also checked if my harddrive was hidden (following your instruction), but it wasn't...

Does the version of Stuffit Expander matter? If so, which version(s) should I use?
Also, is Stuffit Expander really the only software I should use for extracting rar files, not Unrar X, SimplyRAR, Unarchiver, etc.?? I am asking this because apparently Stuffit cannot create the correct folder (directory) structure while other softwares can.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 03 Jan 2013, 15:16

Ken121221 wrote:> You downloaded Generations from G4TW, correct?

Yes, I downloaded a torrent file from http://www.games4theworld.org.
(I presume the files for Mac are the same as those for PC)

I tried using the older versions of Stuffit Expander - 13.0.3 and 14.0.0, but the results remained the same...

> Do you have enough memory and space for the game?

I have 4GB memory and +100GB space in HD.

I also checked if my harddrive was hidden (following your instruction), but it wasn't...

Does the version of Stuffit Expander matter? If so, which version(s) should I use?
Also, is Stuffit Expander really the only software I should use for extracting rar files, not Unrar X, SimplyRAR, Unarchiver, etc.?? I am asking this because apparently Stuffit cannot create the correct folder (directory) structure while other softwares can.

if you're using G4TW .rar files, Stuffit is the program that unzips them into one folder in a workable format. (Trying to launch the installer app, for example, after unzipping with Unarchiver, doesn't work; the icon just bounces in the dock but never runs.)

In terms of versions, are you using an English-only version of Stuffit? If you are, maybe that is the culprit?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 06 Jan 2013, 12:57

In terms of versions, are you using an English-only version of Stuffit? If you are, maybe that is the culprit?

Thank you, you have given me a good hint for solution.

Suddenly I felt that maybe it had something to do with my "language setting", i.e. Japanese language, as there were lots of "¥" signs. So I changed my system language to English, logged out, logged in, and extracted the .rar file with Stuffit Expander, then ... voila! It worked!!

Although it may be a hassle to log out and log in each time I install new EP etc., I am relieved to find the solution.

Thanks again for your posts!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 06 Jan 2013, 19:25

Hey Ken,

Really glad to hear you got it working!! Smile

Happy simming!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top