Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best VPN services?

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Best VPN services? Empty Best VPN services?

Post by Sim Architect Thu 05 Mar 2015, 05:24

Hello everybody!

Does anybody know or use a reliable VPN service that's free (or REALLY cheap) and won't require you to install "their" software (those usually come with ads or begging to upgrade to pro notifications every 5 minutes)?

The ideal should be a VPN that we can just set up with windows (using a server domain or ip and credentials) or a virtual machine manager (same thing, just server info & credentials).

I think it would be very useful to many of us, for many things, to hide, to download pirate stuff while in countries or with ISPs that block torrents, for example, or even if you just want to watch content "exclusive to USA" or have a browsing experience as if you were in another country (sometimes I want to buy EA stuff as if I was in Canada, I need to use TeamViewer on a friend's computer, since the Brazilian Store will have Brazilian Prices and Tax, worse if I am in Europe, even if I use a Canadian Credit Card, they won't allow me to pick my country, they always use the IP)...

I know that good stuff isn't usually free neither cheap, but a few times it is. So, if any of you know of it, please share the love with us...

pirat
Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator
The Gray Eminence :p
G4TW HONORARY Moderator The Gray Eminence :p

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Plants vs Zombies, The Sims 3, Cities Skylines, The Sims 4

Male

Back to top Go down

Best VPN services? Empty Re: Best VPN services?

Post by Admin Thu 05 Mar 2015, 22:46

Hello there,

Well, with VPNs... if you really want something good, you're going to have to pay for it, I'm afraid.
Anyway, try Tunnelbear. It's easy to use, and you get a free amount of bandwidth every month. It's not much, but better than nothing.
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator
GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder
G4TW RETIRED Adminator GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sim Architect Thu 05 Mar 2015, 23:44

Admin wrote:Hello there,

Well, with VPNs... if you really want something good, you're going to have to pay for it, I'm afraid.
Anyway, try Tunnelbear. It's easy to use, and you get a free amount of bandwidth every month. It's not much, but better than nothing.
Thanks a lot, King Admin, you're the best!

500 MB sounds more than enough for occasional use when I just want to access the internet as if I was somewhere else, and they have all the countries I am looking for (UK, Sweden, US and Canada), so it's just perfect.

The paid version doesn't sound so bad either, in case I really need to do some serious tunneling, I can get the plan, use it, cancel it later. Smile

New notebook coming soon... It will be fun (at least until I sell it)!
Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri 06 Mar 2015, 21:50

SvenT wrote:Thanks a lot, King Admin, you're the best!

500 MB sounds more than enough for occasional use when I just want to access the internet as if I was somewhere else, and they have all the countries I am looking for (UK, Sweden, US and Canada), so it's just perfect.

The paid version doesn't sound so bad either, in case I really need to do some serious tunneling, I can get the plan, use it, cancel it later. Smile

They added Sweden too?! They only supported two countries when I last used it. (Which was many years ago Razz) Good to see that they are growing too.

Indeed, they are not that expensive, but if you really care about your privacy and want to do some "serious" VPN'ing, try https://www.blackvpn.com/ . I've had very good experiences with them in the past too. And they recently changed their policy: you can now connect with three (!) different devices with the same subscription! (As long as you use three different locations to connect to)

Let me know if you need any help with their VPN service.
Update 7-09-2016: I actually DO NOT recommend BlackVPN any more, after some very bad experiences with their unprofessional support department. I found out other VPN providers provide about 5 times the speeds they offer, more devices to connect at the same time and most important of all: better support. And that for the same (or even lower) price. Therefore you really want to try a VPN provider that's better than BlackVPN.

Last edited by Admin on Wed 07 Sep 2016, 22:25; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sat 07 Mar 2015, 00:25

SvenT wrote:
The ideal should be a VPN that we can just set up with windows (using a server domain or ip and credentials) or a virtual machine manager (same thing, just server info & credentials).

I think it would be very useful to many of us, for many things, to hide, to download pirate stuff while in countries or with ISPs that block torrents, for example, or even if you just want to watch content "exclusive to USA" or have a browsing experience as if you were in another country (sometimes I want to buy EA stuff as if I was in Canada, I need to use TeamViewer on a friend's computer, since the Brazilian Store will have Brazilian Prices and Tax, worse if I am in Europe, even if I use a Canadian Credit Card, they won't allow me to pick my country, they always use the IP)...

I know that good stuff isn't usually free neither cheap, but a few times it is. So, if any of you know of it, please share the love with us...

pirat

Such an "ideal" VPN would not survive financially for too long. Video streaming and torrenting means a lot of bandwidth (traffic) for the server. Who's going to pay for all that, without advertisement or prices ? Smile 

There are some good (free) VPNs, but those are meant to be used for web-surfing only. And of course for tricking the "other side" into believing that you're in a different country. One example is this here.

And yes, the thing with the IP addresses is also logical from the perspective of governments and companies: if everybody were able to simply "choose" their country, then there would hardly be any substantial tax revenue, and the "bubble" would very quickly explode. After which everything else will collapse...

Haters gonna hate

The thing with the proprietary client is, in my opinion, partly because of safety/privacy reasons (simply entering an IP address and credentials in the System Control Panel under "Internet Options" might not be safest method there is); plus, there is the encryption in the better VPNs, which is often done by the proprietary software/client. Also, I think that these clients are used simply because of convenience. These clients are usually easy to use, and then you can simply enjoy the VPN service.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sim Architect Sun 08 Mar 2015, 15:54

Admin wrote:
SvenT wrote:Thanks a lot, King Admin, you're the best!

They added Sweden too?! They only supported two countries when I last used it. (Which was many years ago Razz) Good to see that they are growing too.

Indeed, they are not that expensive, but if you really care about your privacy and want to do some "serious" VPN'ing, try https://www.blackvpn.com/ . I've had very good experiences with them in the past too. And they recently changed their policy: you can now connect with three (!) different devices with the same subscription! (As long as you use three different locations to connect to)

Let me know if you need any help with their VPN service.
Update 7-09-2016: I actually DO NOT recommend BlackVPN any more, after some very bad experiences with their unprofessional support department. I found out other VPN providers provide about 5 times the speeds they offer, more devices to connect at the same time and most important of all: better support. And that for the same (or even lower) price. Therefore you really want to try a VPN provider that's better than BlackVPN.
Thanks! Yes, their service looks very premium, it must be great for people who are having problems to download torrents, watch videos etc (traffic shaping etc). I will probably try their service when I fly to Canada, if I have any issue while there, or if I find myself really piss*d off one of these days with too much undesired Brazilian content in my browsing Smile

5 or 9 Euros / month is not bad for a premium service that says they give you unlimited bandwidth, and that's trusted by the community.

For now, 500 MB from the Bear Tunnel seem enough, since I just want to use it once in a while to hide my country for shopping or other basic stuff (maybe even disable showing images/videos automatically using some add on, since browsers don't seem to have that option anymore, since the end of the 90's ha ha ha), but I am sure that many users of this Forum will find this information very useful, since there's lots of "pollution" when it comes to do a search for a VPN service and many of us can't download pirate content or even torrents of any kind because their Internet Service Providers ISPs won't let them.

Carlos wrote:
SvenT wrote:

pirat

Such an "ideal" VPN would not survive financially for too long. Video streaming and torrenting means a lot of bandwidth (traffic) for the server. Who's going to pay for all that, without advertisement or prices ? Smile 

There are some good (free) VPNs, but those are meant to be used for web-surfing only. And of course for tricking the "other side" into believing that you're in a different country. One example is this here.

And yes, the thing with the IP addresses is also logical from the perspective of governments and companies: if everybody were able to simply "choose" their country, then there would hardly be any substantial tax revenue, and the "bubble" would very quickly explode. After which everything else will collapse...

Haters gonna hate

The thing with the proprietary client is, in my opinion, partly because of safety/privacy reasons (simply entering an IP address and credentials in the System Control Panel under "Internet Options" might not be safest method there is); plus, there is the encryption in the better VPNs, which is often done by the proprietary software/client. Also, I think that these clients are used simply because of convenience. These clients are usually easy to use, and then you can simply enjoy the VPN service.
Yes, that's true! Thanks for the link! I thought that those Open Protocol Encrypted VPNs were good enough for personal use...

I just want something to hide my country of origin, so I don't pay the taxes you mention above when shopping, ha ha ha!

I also find it's annoying, sometimes, when sites force local content, you know? The fact I am "in Brazil" doesn't mean that I live "Brazil", it gets worse if I am travelling in Sweden, for example, and I get lots of stuff on my screen that I can barely understand Sad

The majority of sites allow you to "change your country" and "change your language", but it's not EA's case. They always offer me the Brazil store when I am browsing here, and if I want to buy anything with my Canadian credit card (I don't have a Brazilian one), I just can't.

Honestly, anyway, if I need to do something serious that involves finantial information I might prefer to keep using the "Teamviewer Technique", but otherwise, if I want to create a fake account on Brazilian ebay (you probably know it as MercadoLibre, the Spanish language version, called MercadoLivre in Brazil) to buy my own items once in a while, for example, I need another IP Smile

Thanks a lot for all the info, both of you guys! I bookmarked everything, and I will try them very soon on a new virtual machine I will create just for that!

In case any of you wonder, there are a couple of good apps for Android that will also do the free VPN thing (just look for the most popular ones, they are usually the best at the moment you need it). Sometimes the software won't even hurt that much, it's just that it doesn't feel as safe as just using windows ("uncle Bill" knows more about me than I even do myself, anyways) to set it up. I know they can use the data I send to them, but if I don't install a piece of their software, they won't have full control over my machine.

It's the good side of being financially "broken", bad people can't use my data to get credit for themselves, because I can't even do that for myself Very Happy

Tea 1 Tea 1 Tea 1
Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon 09 Mar 2015, 12:13

SvenT wrote:5 or 9 Euros / month is not bad for a premium service that says they give you unlimited bandwidth, and that's trusted by the community.
You're welcome!

They do have a download/upload limit obviously, but the bandwidth is unlimited. So downloading via a VPN is always slower than downloading without one. But it's still pretty fast. (Especially if you connect to a server that's near your country)

Also keep in mind to disable things like IPv6, as some (most?) VPN's don't hide connections made via the new IPv6 protocol.

To turn off IPv6 on your PC completely: http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9728869
To turn on IPv6 on your PC again:  http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9732129

Good luck!
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sim Architect Tue 10 Mar 2015, 14:42

Admin wrote:
SvenT wrote:5 or 9 Euros / month is not bad for a premium service that says they give you unlimited bandwidth, and that's trusted by the community.
You're welcome!

They do have a download/upload limit obviously, but the bandwidth is unlimited. So downloading via a VPN is always slower than downloading without one. But it's still pretty fast. (Especially if you connect to a server that's near your country)

Also keep in mind to disable things like IPv6, as some (most?) VPN's don't hide connections made via the new IPv6 protocol.

To turn off IPv6 on your PC completely: http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9728869
To turn on IPv6 on your PC again:  http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9732129

Good luck!
[color=#FFAABB]Thanks! I didn't know about this issue on IP 6!!! Thanks for warning me, I will create a Virtual Machine with no IP 6 at all!
Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu 19 Mar 2015, 19:44

Hi again,

I noticed this was posted recently: http://torrentfreak.com/anonymous-vpn-service-provider-review-2015-150228/
BlackVPN is (again) featured, on page 3.

Happy reading. Smile

Last edited by Admin on Wed 07 Sep 2016, 22:27; edited 2 times in total
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sim Architect Thu 19 Mar 2015, 21:48

Very good information, thanks!!

Tea 1 Tea 1
Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 20 Apr 2015, 10:26

i know there might be way better VPN's out there but i have used Cyberghost for a while now it has a free version but that doesnt support P2P traffic. The premium version though allows it and sometimes they have promotion on to which you can get a 6 month to a 1 year premium key just by adding your email address but that you bypass via a fake email generator and you get your code or you can buy it, also i have read that they do not keep logs so its not that bad it also support a whole lot of countries which you can choose from. ExpressVPN has been rated the second best though but its strictly premium and the do not keep logs. Have a look at 5 Best VPN Providers for 2015 (April 2015) Hopefully this helps Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 12 Aug 2015, 13:20

Never use free VPN if you want all these features as free VPN can never provide all these things you will have to buy paid version. I am living in USA and using USA VPN for maximum features.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sim Architect Wed 12 Aug 2015, 19:06

Thanks. Yes, usually paid services are much more reliable, but I liked what Admin suggested for when you do not need a huge data traffic, even though you need proprietary software.

Anyway, I am sure some visitors will find your info useful, thanks!
Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed 12 Aug 2015, 21:41

tauseefgt90 wrote:Never use free VPN if you want all these features as free VPN can never provide all these things you will have to buy paid version. I am living in USA and using USA VPN for maximum features.
With all due respect, but I'm not sure if you can trust an American VPN provider, when you want to hide your identity or do P2P "safely".
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sim Architect Thu 13 Aug 2015, 16:54

Admin wrote:
tauseefgt90 wrote:Never use free VPN if you want all these features as free VPN can never provide all these things you will have to buy paid version. I am living in USA and using USA VPN for maximum features.
With all due respect, but I'm not sure if you can trust an American VPN provider, when you want to hide your identity or do P2P "safely".
True! I think an American provider would be useful only if you want to visit american sites that restrict access from other places of the world. I would not use it for stuff they "don't want us to do" (you got the point). Smile

Thanks!
Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri 14 Aug 2015, 22:46

Especially since American companies can be forced to hand over information about you.
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sim Architect Sat 15 Aug 2015, 01:26

Admin wrote:Especially since American companies can be forced to hand over information about you.
YES!!!

Why God.
Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Aug 2015, 19:11

I use BTGuard VPN. $9.99 a month unlimited bandwidth with no logging! Very Happy It truly is amazing. I get a better connection when I am using the VPN.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat 28 Nov 2015, 23:10

Good news!

Just like every year BlackVPN now offers -50% on all their packages. So you can now get their "Privacy Package" for just €25,- for one whole year. Use coupon code "blackvpnfriday" during checkout: https://www.blackvpn.com/
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 14 Nov 2016, 19:19

Opera 41.0 has a VPN setting. I tried it and it shows my IP in Texas (I'm up north). I don't know if it will work outside the US, there is no option to change countries.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon 14 Nov 2016, 22:48

behensks wrote:Opera 41.0 has a VPN setting. I tried it and it shows my IP in Texas (I'm up north). I don't know if it will work outside the US, there is no option to change countries.
I think you're confused with a built-in proxy. The "problem" is that this new IP will only work in the Opera browser.
That means that as soon as you start, for example, downloading a torrent, the connection will go over your original IP instead.

For 99% reliability you need system-wide VPN software. (So not bound to one specific piece of software only)
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 14 Nov 2016, 23:43

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm a little confused about just hiding an IP. What about programs like Windscribe that offer 10 GB of data? Will that be the same as Opera if you download a torrent?

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue 15 Nov 2016, 14:50

behensks wrote:Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm a little confused about just hiding an IP. What about programs like Windscribe that offer 10 GB of data? Will that be the same as Opera if you download a torrent?
Hi again,

The Opera thing would be useful if you're, for example, trying to access geo-restricted content. (E.g. you're trying to access the American Netflix catalogue, but you're from Turkey. So you use an American IP to fool Netflix in thinking that you're from America - this is just an example, I think I read Netflix is trying to block these proxies and VPNs)

I don't know Windscribe, so I looked it up. It seems to be a VPN service indeed. So yes, it does offer system-wide protection and (from what I read) it can be used for P2P/torrent downloading too.
Do keep in mind though, that they do not say anything about a so-called "no log policy". This means that if you want to do some shady stuff or are really worried about your privacy, you should look for another VPN provider.
Besides the price for Windscribe is almost $100 a year. That's quite a lot, especially since you can get better VPN services for around 1/4 of that price.
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 15 Nov 2016, 16:18

Thanks for the explanation. I have a free version of Windscribe that allows 10 GB a month. (I don't think it's just a trial version but I'll find out soon) I'll keep looking for something with a no log policy. I did try OpenVPN but I couldn't get it to work. I had a problem trying to open port 1194 in Norton's. Every time that I tested it my IP would show (Google MY IP and tried several sites). I have Norton's security suite and windows 10 64 bit.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue 15 Nov 2016, 19:49

You're welcome. Smile
Doesn't seem like a trial version, no. It's probably something like TunnelBear, which also allows something like 1GB a month for free.

Here's a list that might help you find something to suit your needs: https://torrentfreak.com/vpn-anonymous-review-160220/
TorrentFreak wrote:Note: several of the providers listed in this article are TorrentFreak sponsors.

This discount code for -50% for TorGuard might still work: TGLifetime50
Most VPN software can be set up to automatically start when you log into Windows. (So you're always connected via the VPN)

OpenVPN can be used to connect to a VPN provider. It's an open-source universal software. Practically all VPN providers provide an OpenVPN (.ovpn) profile, which you can use to connect to their services. Some providers have their own VPN software to make things easier.
Generally you do not need to open ports for the VPN to work. Usually it picks an open port automatically. If not, you should definitely contact them and explain your situation. Usually they have special ports for restricted networks (e.g. work/school/university/public), so you can always connect to the VPN, even when behind a restricted network.

If you still need help setting up the VPN/OpenVPN, feel free to open a new topic on our Forum here: https://games4theworld.forumotion.com/f24-software
But I'd recommend to always contact the VPN provider first, as they can help you best with their product.

Last edited by Webmaster on Tue 24 Jul 2018, 21:10; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top