Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best VPN services?

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Best VPN services? - Page 2 Empty Best VPN services?

Post by Sim Architect Thu 05 Mar 2015, 05:24

First topic message reminder :

Hello everybody!

Does anybody know or use a reliable VPN service that's free (or REALLY cheap) and won't require you to install "their" software (those usually come with ads or begging to upgrade to pro notifications every 5 minutes)?

The ideal should be a VPN that we can just set up with windows (using a server domain or ip and credentials) or a virtual machine manager (same thing, just server info & credentials).

I think it would be very useful to many of us, for many things, to hide, to download pirate stuff while in countries or with ISPs that block torrents, for example, or even if you just want to watch content "exclusive to USA" or have a browsing experience as if you were in another country (sometimes I want to buy EA stuff as if I was in Canada, I need to use TeamViewer on a friend's computer, since the Brazilian Store will have Brazilian Prices and Tax, worse if I am in Europe, even if I use a Canadian Credit Card, they won't allow me to pick my country, they always use the IP)...

I know that good stuff isn't usually free neither cheap, but a few times it is. So, if any of you know of it, please share the love with us...

pirat
Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator
The Gray Eminence :p
G4TW HONORARY Moderator The Gray Eminence :p

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Plants vs Zombies, The Sims 3, Cities Skylines, The Sims 4

Male

Back to top Go down

Best VPN services? - Page 2 Empty Re: Best VPN services?

Post by Guest Tue 15 Nov 2016, 16:18

Thanks for the explanation. I have a free version of Windscribe that allows 10 GB a month. (I don't think it's just a trial version but I'll find out soon) I'll keep looking for something with a no log policy. I did try OpenVPN but I couldn't get it to work. I had a problem trying to open port 1194 in Norton's. Every time that I tested it my IP would show (Google MY IP and tried several sites). I have Norton's security suite and windows 10 64 bit.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue 15 Nov 2016, 19:49

You're welcome. Smile
Doesn't seem like a trial version, no. It's probably something like TunnelBear, which also allows something like 1GB a month for free.

Here's a list that might help you find something to suit your needs: https://torrentfreak.com/vpn-anonymous-review-160220/
TorrentFreak wrote:Note: several of the providers listed in this article are TorrentFreak sponsors.

This discount code for -50% for TorGuard might still work: TGLifetime50
Most VPN software can be set up to automatically start when you log into Windows. (So you're always connected via the VPN)

OpenVPN can be used to connect to a VPN provider. It's an open-source universal software. Practically all VPN providers provide an OpenVPN (.ovpn) profile, which you can use to connect to their services. Some providers have their own VPN software to make things easier.
Generally you do not need to open ports for the VPN to work. Usually it picks an open port automatically. If not, you should definitely contact them and explain your situation. Usually they have special ports for restricted networks (e.g. work/school/university/public), so you can always connect to the VPN, even when behind a restricted network.

If you still need help setting up the VPN/OpenVPN, feel free to open a new topic on our Forum here: https://games4theworld.forumotion.com/f24-software
But I'd recommend to always contact the VPN provider first, as they can help you best with their product.

Last edited by Webmaster on Tue 24 Jul 2018, 21:10; edited 1 time in total

Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator
GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder
G4TW RETIRED Adminator GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dracos66 Wed 16 Nov 2016, 07:00

If your wanting a torrenting friendly VPN you can try SurfEasy . They have a limited free version (about 500MB/mo) which can be increased by doing some activities, but the paid version is fairly cheap for unlimited usage. I've been using them for awhile and am quite satisfied. They are a no-log VPN and have a decent list of servers spread through several countries.
Dracos66
Dracos66
G4TW RETIRED Moderator
Discharged with Honors

G4TW RETIRED Moderator Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : AOE I,II,III; Diablo ; Diablo II:LOD ; Spellforce ; Neverwinter Nights ; Planescape Torment ; Sims 1,2 ,3 & 4

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 Nov 2016, 02:05

I think it’s pretty obvious that I’m not an expert on this subject. In fact I’ve never taken an IT class (even though my background is in electronics). All of my experience in computing was through trial and error, tips from co-workers or IT people at places I worked, searching the web and from forums like this one.

I would like to thank all of those who took the time to give me some guidance or advice. Your help is greatly appreciated. Maybe I can pay it forward a little and help someone else with what I have learned during my searches.

During my quest to find a free VPN I found a few things that may help.

On an early post I mentioned that I was having troubled with OpenVPN. I was mistaken on the program. The program was vpnbook, it used OpenVPN as a platform. I have windows 10 64 bit and used the 64 bit program for vpnbook and I could not get it to work. I tried different config files with no luck. I finally tried the 32 bit program and it worked for some reason. I was able to start it and find that my IP was in France, Germany and other places depending on which config file I used. The down side is when I ran a DNS leak test my ISP showed up (not so hidden IP). I guess it could be used to look at content that is not available in the US but not much else.

For the record I used whoer.net for checking the IP and dnsleaktest.com for the leak tests.

The free ones that I found that passed both tests were Betternet, Private Tunnel, proXPN and Windscribe.

After doing a google search I found that Windscribe (unless I’m reading it wrong) does have a no log policy (https://windscribe.com/privacy). All of the others list a no log policy. Windscribe does allow a 10 GB per month with an email verification.

If anybody has any experience with any of these or have any comments or hesitations about any of these programs feel free to comment. All feedback (polite of course) will be welcome.

Mod edit: removed text formatting for easier readability. Smile

- The_gh0stm4n

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri 18 Nov 2016, 22:58

Hi again,

Good that you did your homework! Very Happy
DNS leaking is indeed another issue. I didn't want to bother you with that (yet), since it sounded like you were new to VPNs. You might also want to turn off IPv6. See this for the right tool to do just that for you: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929852  (Choose the one that says "Disable IPv6")

If you're using OpenVPN .ovpn files, there should be a piece of code that prevents DNS leaks. I'm not sure if that works for all providers though, you should test that: block-outside-dns (Add that line to the configuration's .ovpn file)
Oh, I forgot they have a guide about preventing/fixing DNS leaks HERE.
Other than that, some bigger VPN providers that have their own software, usually also have a setting to automatically "Prevent DNS leaks". Check the application's settings for more information. (Or again, contact the provider for help, they are usually very willing to help)
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator
GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder
G4TW RETIRED Adminator GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 19 Nov 2016, 21:11

Thank you Adwomin for the info and links. I'll try them out and let you know what happens.

//EDIT

Running into a bunch of brick walls. The link that you have above to disable IPv6 gave me errors but you had the programs on the 1st page of this thread so I used them. I also tried to enter the line in the config file (all are .opvn files) but the system would not let me save them (access denied). I also tried to go into properties to change the permissions but I couldn't do that either.
I followed the guide that you directed me to and installed dnsfixsetup and ran the IPv6 disable but vpnbook still had a lot of leaks to my ISP. Leaked worst than a screen door on a submarine.
I was hoping to use vpnbook because it doesn't have any download limits but because of the leaks I'll have to stick with one of the other programs I installed. I'm not a big user of torrents (more of an occasional user) so the other program with 10 GB limit should be OK for me.
Thanks again for taking time to help me and for your help and advice. In the mean time I'll keep searching. If you or anyone else knows of a solution please let me know.
Thanks again.

Update - I tried a few more things to stop the DNS leaks in vpnbook and there were some changes. Now when I run a DNS leak test my ISP (Comcast in the US) is not listed. Now it lists Google in Belgium and The Netherlands. I'm not sure if this is safe.
I did manage to get the block outside dns statement in one of the config files.

Back to top Go down

Best VPN services? - Page 2 Empty A free VPN that gives good speeds?

Post by Guest Tue 28 Feb 2017, 23:26

I have almost every sims 3 expansion from here, and i want to download the others, but I cant find a way to download them without risking getting caught. I had a free trial of freedome, which expired, and I used peerblock to download several, but after doing some research i found out that peerblock apparently does nothing to prevent you from getting caught. I've tried two free vpns (cyberghost and cactus), but they give me horrible speeds to the point where the torrent cant even start. What vpn (either free or with a free trial) do you use?

Mod edit: posts merged.

- The_gh0stm4n

Back to top Go down

Best VPN services? - Page 2 Empty Best VPN services?

Post by Guest Sat 17 Mar 2018, 16:51

Hi You guys, Sorry I have been inactive for well... like a year now. I just had a question I thought I would ask you guys since you are all obviously way more talented with PC's than I am. I am looking for a VPN.. I would obviously prefer a free one, or at best a really cheap one, but would love to have one that has unlimited usage because I need to use it when I am downloading... and I do A LOT of downloading. Any suggestions? Do you guys use one that you would recommend? Thanks in advance. Sonya

Mod edit: stickied.

- The_gh0stm4n

Back to top Go down

Post by Dracos66 Sat 24 Mar 2018, 13:17

I've tried a lot of VPNs and can recommend 2 of them. Windscribe (they have a free acct with a 10GB limit per month but if you watch you can get the lifetime paid version on sale fairly cheap) and VPN.ac. Both are very good about IP and DNS leaks and they both offer great speed.

Windscribe is the easiest to set up if your new to VPNs.
Dracos66
Dracos66
G4TW RETIRED Moderator
Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : AOE I,II,III; Diablo ; Diablo II:LOD ; Spellforce ; Neverwinter Nights ; Planescape Torment ; Sims 1,2 ,3 & 4

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 27 May 2018, 18:43

Anyone have any experience with NordVPN? Are they any good?

Back to top Go down

Post by Dracos66 Mon 28 May 2018, 15:09

behensks wrote:Anyone have any experience with NordVPN? Are they any good?

NordVPN is pretty good, the only issues I ever had with them was UL/DL speed and micro-drops in connections.
Dracos66
Dracos66
G4TW RETIRED Moderator
Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 28 May 2018, 16:59

Thanks Dracos66 for the reply. Did the micro-drops cause any problems or anything I should be concerned about like switching to my own IPS without knowing?

Back to top Go down

Post by Dracos66 Mon 28 May 2018, 20:17

behensks wrote:Thanks Dracos66 for the reply. Did the micro-drops cause any problems or anything I should be concerned about like switching to my own IPS without knowing?

The only time the drops were a problem was if/when uploading/downloading the file(s) would become corrupted and and to be redone. Never had a problem with NordVPN dropping be back to my ISP as the firewall feature blocks all traffic if Nord is not connected to it's servers.
Dracos66
Dracos66
G4TW RETIRED Moderator
Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 28 May 2018, 23:59

Thanks

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 Jun 2018, 18:36

I use IPVanish. I’ve used it now for over a year without any issues in terms of torrenting anything. I highly recommend this VPN.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Jul 2018, 16:10

don't trust on free vpn because it is not working properly like it not secure your internet just showing different IP but it's not working also their speed is very slow as compared to paid best USA VPN. I am also using FastestVPN which is very cheap in cost you must try this rather than going with free ones.

Mod edit: topics condensed/merged; there is no need for more than one thread about "best VPN services".

- The_gh0stm4n

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 11 Jul 2018, 20:33

Does anyone know about how well Ghost VPN works with torrenting?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sim Architect Thu 26 Jul 2018, 05:47

Dracos66 wrote:I've tried a lot of VPNs and can recommend 2 of them. Windscribe (they have a free acct with a 10GB limit per month but if you watch you can get the lifetime paid version on sale fairly cheap) and VPN.ac. Both are very good about IP and DNS leaks and they both offer great speed.

I am loving Windscribe (I got the 15 GB free plan), thanks @Dracos66!!!

Best VPN services? - Page 2 1ccc351de7484d4fbf24be2e94886770
Piece of cake. Piece of cake. Piece of cake. Piece of cake. Piece of cake. Piece of cake. Piece of cake. Piece of cake. Piece of cake. Piece of cake.
Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator
The Gray Eminence :p
G4TW HONORARY Moderator The Gray Eminence :p

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Plants vs Zombies, The Sims 3, Cities Skylines, The Sims 4

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 07 Aug 2018, 12:33

If you want a VPN that works for Torrenting and Netflix accessing various region libraries, I would recommend NordVPN, Express VPN and PureVPN. 

I used to have a Nord VPN connection, but for the past 6 months, I have bought a subscription for PureVPN. One of the main reasons, it gets me through torrent downloading and accessing Netflix libraries. 
Secondly, It does not leak my IP. I have checked with IP address checker which shows the exact location to which I am connected. 
Thirdly, I got this PureVPN Subscription with a deal providing me a two-year subscription for $2.48 per month. 

So if you are looking for something not very expensive and the one that works well too, You can go for it, or you can also choose Express VPN or Nord VPN if you want to spend a bit extra.

//EDIT

ShawnyK wrote:Does anyone know about how well Ghost VPN works with torrenting?

Would not recommend Ghost VPN. Not a good experience with it. DNS Leaks, Connectivity issues.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Tue 05 Mar 2019, 21:38

As of lately I've tried using ProtonVPN, ... seems very nice:

Best VPN services? - Page 2 J7sXF7F

The "Secure Core" lets your traffic run trough 2 servers, through Switzerland first and then another country that you choose from the list, though that slows down your traffic a little bit.

Killswitch and DNS leak protection are turned ON, by default (I'm not even sure you can turn these options off xD ).

The service itself is based in Switzerland (a.k.a. they are not particularly friendly to either the US or the EU), so that may also play a part in considering that service.

Good luck!

https://protonvpn.com/
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Best VPN services? - Page 2 Empty ...

Post by Guest Fri 24 May 2019, 00:37

The_gh0stm4n wrote:VPNs are nowadays - unfortunately - a necessity for any and all torrenting. 

Does anyone know if the VPN that comes with Avira anti-virus is good enough? I mean, yes, the free version has a data cap, but aside from that...?

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Fri 24 May 2019, 01:08

LittlePenguin wrote:
The_gh0stm4n wrote:VPNs are nowadays - unfortunately - a necessity for any and all torrenting. 

Does anyone know if the VPN that comes with Avira anti-virus is good enough? I mean, yes, the free version has a data cap, but aside from that...?

//MOVED

Hey again @LittlePenguin,

I have moved your post, and added it to the main discussion thread for VPNs (in the other thread where you originally posted this, I merely brought up VPNs to emphasize my argument, that the internet landscape of today is not comparable to 'earlier times' Very Happy ).

Either way...I am not familiar with that VPN, I'm sorry. From my general gut feeling though, and without googling further...antivirus software that offers a VPN? A bit suspicious. But then again, maybe I am wrong.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 29 May 2019, 10:26

The_gh0stm4n wrote:
//MOVED

Either way...I am not familiar with that VPN, I'm sorry. From my general gut feeling though, and without googling further...antivirus software that offers a VPN? A bit suspicious. 

Why is that? Razz

I also tried using ProtonVPN, but after a while when starting the desktop app, I would just get an endless loading cursor...

WhatDidUJustCallMe?

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Wed 29 May 2019, 15:43

Nina wrote:Why is that? Razz

I also tried using ProtonVPN, but after a while when starting the desktop app, I would just get an endless loading cursor...

WhatDidUJustCallMe?

If you meant to ask why I find it suspicious...let's say that these companies usually maintain agendas that are more aligned with the interests of big (tech) corporations, rather than the "little man/woman/whatever". An example is that modified game files like DRM-bypasses are being flagged as malicious, even though they are almost always harmless.

Maybe I am wrong here, but a VPN that is provided alongside an antivirus program? I'll opt out of it.

As for the ProtonVPN, I've had the issue myself a few times, I think it may be caused by Windows updates. The best workaround I can provide for now is that you always download the latest version of the ProtonVPN installer, and keep it somewhere. And if you encounter the glitch again, re-run the installer. I'd also recommend that in the window of the login prompt, that you do NOT mark the "start with Windows"-option.

Yess, aye lieeke!
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 31 May 2019, 23:43

The_gh0stm4n wrote:

As for the ProtonVPN, I've had the issue myself a few times, I think it may be caused by Windows updates. The best workaround I can provide for now is that you always download the latest version of the ProtonVPN installer, and keep it somewhere. And if you encounter the glitch again, re-run the installer. I'd also recommend that in the window of the login prompt, that you do NOT mark the "start with Windows"-option.

Yess, aye lieeke!

That worked - thx! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Mon 03 Jun 2019, 23:28

Nina wrote:That worked - thx! Very Happy

Cool to hear!  Yess, aye lieeke!

Something that could be seen as a disadvantage of ProtonVPN is the (seemingly?) limited selection of P2P-capable countries/locations. For torrenting (and at the time of me writing this), you're basically restricted to The Netherlands, Singapore, Sweden and Switzerland. My theory is they are doing this to reduce chances of legal problems.

With for example Windscribe, most countries allow P2P-traffic, with some exceptions.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 03 Jun 2019, 23:41

@Dracos66 wrote:

I've tried a lot of VPNs and can recommend 2 of them. Windscribe (they have a free acct with a 10GB limit per month but if you watch you can get the lifetime paid version on sale fairly cheap) and VPN.ac. Both are very good about IP and DNS leaks and they both offer great speed.

Do you still recommend Windscribe? I have never used a VPN before, and I would love to be able to get caught up on the Sims4 expansions. I haven't been active here since "Get Together" was available, and I am super behind! Also, last year my ISP gave me a warning after I downloaded "Legend of Korra". Oops!  Wat. I haven't downloaded *anything* since then.

I am okay if there's a data cap on the free version.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top