Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to have two separate games with different expansion packs on one computer? [CLOSED]

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How to have two separate games with different expansion packs on one computer? [CLOSED] Empty How to have two separate games with different expansion packs on one computer? [CLOSED]

Post by Guest Mon 19 Aug 2013, 16:08

Hey, guys. I've been trying to find an answer to my question but there are too many similar questions on the internet so I hope I didn't overlook anything and don't bother you with something that was already answered.
The thing is, that I'd like to have two sims games on my computer but each with different expansion packs. So let's just say game 1 would include seasons, generations and island paradise and game two would include showtime, supernaturals and pets.  Is there any way to do this? I know there is this any game starter program that allows you to make a new game and include which expansion packs you want but you can only choose those ones you already have installed. But I don't want some of the expansion packs in the game I'm playing at the moment and yet I'd like to try them out. Does any of you know how to do that? I'd be really grateful for a reply Smile Thanks.

Back to top Go down

How to have two separate games with different expansion packs on one computer? [CLOSED] Empty Re: How to have two separate games with different expansion packs on one computer? [CLOSED]

Post by The_gh0stm4n Mon 19 Aug 2013, 16:26

tinnie wrote:Hey, guys. I've been trying to find an answer to my question but there are too many similar questions on the internet so I hope I didn't overlook anything and don't bother you with something that was already answered.
The thing is, that I'd like to have two sims games on my computer but each with different expansion packs. So let's just say game 1 would include seasons, generations and island paradise and game two would include showtime, supernaturals and pets.  Is there any way to do this? I know there is this any game starter program that allows you to make a new game and include which expansion packs you want but you can only choose those ones you already have installed. But I don't want some of the expansion packs in the game I'm playing at the moment and yet I'd like to try them out. Does any of you know how to do that? I'd be really grateful for a reply Smile Thanks.
Hello,

While this is not possible to do that on only one computer, why would you want to do that ? Wink  If you install an expansion pack, you will basically add "more stuff" to your game.

And if you don't want to have a certain expansion pack installed anymore, you can un-install it.

Also, I would not un-install and re-install expansion packs too often; from my experience on the forum, the chances are that you will sooner or later ruin your game - and you would then have to un-install completely.

To stick with your example: so if you want to add Showtime, Supernatural and Pets, you have to properly install these expansions. But the other things that you have installed before will still be there.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

How to have two separate games with different expansion packs on one computer? [CLOSED] Empty Re: How to have two separate games with different expansion packs on one computer? [CLOSED]

Post by Guest Mon 19 Aug 2013, 16:36

I know that the other things will still be there. It's more like that I don't want my game to slow down because I have many expansion packs even though I may use stuff from some of them just in one or two families.  
Like for example I would want one supernatural family, but I don't want my other families to come in contact with other supernatural sims. Same with pets or some of the showtime stuff. There are just things I want to try but probably not use in my game on regular bases. Does it make sense? 
And as you said installing as uninstalling things could ruin my game and I'd like to avoid that.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Mon 19 Aug 2013, 16:49

tinnie wrote:I know that the other things will still be there. It's more like that I don't want my game to slow down because I have many expansion packs even though I may use stuff from some of them just in one or two families.  
Like for example I would want one supernatural family, but I don't want my other families to come in contact with other supernatural sims. Same with pets or some of the showtime stuff. There are just things I want to try but probably not use in my game on regular bases. Does it make sense? 
And as you said installing as uninstalling things could ruin my game and I'd like to avoid that.
If you install some extra expansions, and then you uninstall them once, then I think the chances of ruining your game are small. Wink  I cannot give you an exact number, but again, you should not repeat that process too often.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 19 Aug 2013, 17:38

Well I was hoping there would be a way to have two separate games with different expansion packs in it so I could just install and uninstall things without affecting my current game. But I suppose I would want too much. Wat. 
Thanks for help anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 19 Aug 2013, 18:29

You can separate them in one computer by using a virtual machine like ''Virtual Box'' it's like putting a computer in your computer. But you should have a great computer to run 2 computers in one.

It's a bad idea, yeah. I just use a virtual machine to run Back-track so I can hack Wi-Fi around.

On my laptop I have 4GB RAM & 2GB VGA & Core i3 CPU. I installed all The Sims 3 Expansion Packs without the Stuff Packs with some mods  and CC. The game works perfectly.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Mon 19 Aug 2013, 19:49

Joker wrote:
You can separate them in one computer by using a virtual machine like ''Virtual Box'' it's like putting a computer in your computer. But you should have a great computer to run 2 computers in one.
If you do that, it's possible that you might run into trouble when you save your game, because by default, The Sims (3) created the savefolders in the "main" hard-drive, and I'm not sure if a "virtual machine" can also create something like a "virtual main hard-drive"; but that's only a theory by me - of course, you would have to test that.

And: from a practical point of view, I wouldn't recommend using a "virtual box" either.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 19 Aug 2013, 20:22

Carlos G. wrote:
Joker wrote:
If you do that, it's possible that you might run into trouble when you save your game, because by default, The Sims (3) created the savefolders in the "main" hard-drive, and I'm not sure if a "virtual machine" can also create something like a "virtual main hard-drive"; but that's only a theory by me - of course, you would have to test that.

And: from a practical point of view, I wouldn't recommend using a "virtual box" either.
It does create a virtual main hard-drive. I recommended ''Virtual Box'' because its free/open source.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Mon 19 Aug 2013, 21:03

tinnie wrote:Well I was hoping there would be a way to have two separate games with different expansion packs in it so I could just install and uninstall things without affecting my current game. But I suppose I would want too much. Wat. 
Thanks for help anyway.
Alright, then. Anything else I can help with maybe ?

Joker wrote:It does create a virtual main hard-drive. I recommended ''Virtual Box'' because its free/open source.
Yes, it might be indeed a possible solution. But again: in my opinion, it doesn't make much sense to have "two different installations" of The Sims (3) on one computer.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 19 Aug 2013, 21:20

Carlos G. wrote:Yes, it might be indeed a possible solution. But again: in my opinion, it doesn't make much sense to have "two different installations" of The Sims (3) on one computer.
Yeah I know, but I am just telling that it's possible to separate the same game in one computer.

I don't recommend playing games in a virtual machine if you don't have HQ computer.

Moderator edit: OK, I think everything has been discussed. Wink  Topic closed.

- Carlos.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top