Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stuck in Free Camera Mode

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Stuck in Free Camera Mode Empty Stuck in Free Camera Mode

Post by Guest Thu 12 Sep 2013, 23:58

Hey guys,

Ever since you people helped me getting my game to work I've been playing the sims, but today I ran into a problem.
Whilst playing the sims I often tab out to do other stuff, so I think I accidentally hit the [TAB] button only, aka failed to actually tab out the game.
Well here's the issue: Tab enables a free movement camera mode / movie making mode and I can't seem to get out of it / disable it.

I've tried almost all keys on my keyboard by now and nothing works - even after I restarted the game I was still in this mode.
At first it's fun, as can be seen on this screenshot I took : http://prntscr.com/1qx3d1 (super zoom!) but when you're trying to build something it gets rather annoying. (I've been in the building mode all the time yes, empty lot, no family - I believe it's called editing the city or something)

Now when I use A & D it just works like scrolling edges, instead of rotating. Using WASD has become useless for me now.

Does anyone know how to get things back to normal again ? It's quite frustrating.

Thankyou in advance

Back to top Go down

Stuck in Free Camera Mode Empty Re: Stuck in Free Camera Mode

Post by Guest Fri 13 Sep 2013, 02:05

Hi
Did you try pressing TAB again to get out of it?
TAB enables AND disables the free camera movement mode. You only have to press TAB twice to disable.
Hope it helped.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Sep 2013, 12:18

Kotona14 wrote:Hi
TAB enables AND disables the free camera movement mode. You only have to press TAB twice to disable.
Hope it helped.
Yes... of course Razz

Pressing tab once, twice or even holding it doesn't disable it.

Back to top Go down

Post by J.T. Fri 13 Sep 2013, 12:37

nurbeidir wrote:
Kotona14 wrote:Hi
Hope it helped.
Yes... of course Razz

Pressing tab once, twice or even holding it doesn't disable it.
Hello,

You can press the middle mouse button to enable rotating. And you can exit the mode by pressing "ESC".
J.T.
J.T.
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP
Discharged with Honors
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Sep 2013, 13:00

I just want to be able to rotate with the WASD keys again but none of your suggestions has worked for me so far... ._.
and I really don't understand how this happened and why it did. It shouldn't be hard to get out of it again right <.<

I always use those WASD keys  to rotate around whilst moving through the game by using my mouse (edge scrolling) or by clicking the right mouse button in case I'm playing in window mode.

Pressing the mousewheel thingy does give you the opportunity to rotate yes but it's just as unhandy as having to click the UI buttons to move/rotate imo.

Back to top Go down

Post by J.T. Fri 13 Sep 2013, 13:05

Hello,

You can use WASD for scrolling the screen and the "wheel" to rotate (the middle mouse button can also let you zoom in and out. And, I suggest you should check in-game settings to enable "edge scrolling". But I still have to look into the problem deeply to understand what's going on (I don't quite understand your problem actually).
J.T.
J.T.
Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Sep 2013, 15:26

cat2006house wrote:Hello,

You can use WASD for scrolling the screen and the "wheel" to rotate (the middle mouse button can also let you zoom in and out. And, I suggest you should check in-game settings to enable "edge scrolling". But I still have to look into the problem deeply to understand what's going on (I don't quite understand your problem actually).
Edge scrolling is not a problem I only explained how I made use of the controls before.
But oki I'll try to explain it on a different way

<,  and >.  keys rotates your screen... 360 degrees. Got that yes?
Well, my A and D keys did the exact same thing, they let me rotate in circles without pressing anything else.

In order to move to the left, right, front or back I used my mouse, either with edgescrolling (full screen) or with the right mouse button (windowed)
So basically I only used the WASD keys and mouse movement (no clicking) to move and rotate on the same time through the game.
---
Now: Keys to move around | Mouse to move around

Before: Keys to rotate | Mouse to move around
Like this:
Stuck in Free Camera Mode Lt01
^
and I want that back, but I don't know how.

Back to top Go down

Post by J.T. Fri 13 Sep 2013, 15:36

nurbeidir wrote:

Edge scrolling is not a problem I only explained how I made use of the controls before.
But oki I'll try to explain it on a different way

<,  and >.  keys rotates your screen... 360 degrees. Got that yes?
Well, my A and D keys did the exact same thing, they let me rotate in circles without pressing anything else.

In order to move to the left, right, front or back I used my mouse, either with edgescrolling (full screen) or with the right mouse button (windowed)
So basically I only used the WASD keys and mouse movement (no clicking) to move and rotate on the same time through the game.
---
Now: Keys to move around | Mouse to move around

Before: Keys to rotate | Mouse to move around
Like this:
Stuck in Free Camera Mode Lt01
^
and I want that back, but I don't know how.
Hello,

Okay now I understand your problem, but still I don't see why you can WASD or arrow keys to perform these actions. In default, if you want to rotate the screen, you should use "," and "." (or concidentally < and >. Well they are actually the same set of keys) keys (that's what is shown when I move my mouse to the buttons for rotating (the buttons shown in your picture). No one can or will use A and D to rotate the screen (Just like no one can use W and S to lower or raise camera height). If you have a look at this, you will understand what I am saying. May I ask how you can do that?
J.T.
J.T.
Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Sep 2013, 16:09

Okay now I understand your problem, but still I don't see why you can WASD or arrow keys to perform these actions. In default, if you want to rotate the screen, you should use "," and "." (or concidentally < and >. Well they are actually the same set of keys) keys (that's what is shown when I move my mouse to the buttons for rotating (the buttons shown in your picture). No one can or will use A and D to rotate the screen (Just like no one can use W and S to lower or raise camera height, players can only use Q and E keys). If you have a look at this, you will understand what I am saying. May I ask how you can do that?
A friend of mine isn't able to use those keys like I was either, so I'm starting to doubt myself.
On the other hand... if it was never there I wouldn't have noticed a change right? I remember pressing a button that led into my screen zooming in quite far - it suprised me. Then I noticed the wasd keys performed different actions than before.
I did show that friend the rotating though (circling over your land going up and down is quite fun lol) so I'm pretty sure I was able to do so. 
But how... I have no idea... it just worked that way. I didn't know it itsn't supposed to work like that.

The controls just feel weird to me now Razz

EDIT: Ctrl + W/A/S/D lets you rotate but I'm 100% sure I did not have to press Ctrl to get it to work!

Back to top Go down

Post by J.T. Fri 13 Sep 2013, 16:23

nurbeidir wrote:

Okay now I understand your problem, but still I don't see why you can WASD or arrow keys to perform these actions. In default, if you want to rotate the screen, you should use "," and "." (or concidentally < and >. Well they are actually the same set of keys) keys (that's what is shown when I move my mouse to the buttons for rotating (the buttons shown in your picture). No one can or will use A and D to rotate the screen (Just like no one can use W and S to lower or raise camera height, players can only use Q and E keys). If you have a look at this, you will understand what I am saying. May I ask how you can do that?
A friend of mine isn't able to use those keys like I was either, so I'm starting to doubt myself.
On the other hand... if it was never there I wouldn't have noticed a change right? I remember pressing a button that led into my screen zooming in quite far - it suprised me. Then I noticed the wasd keys performed different actions than before.
I did show that friend the rotating though (circling over your land going up and down is quite fun lol) so I'm pretty sure I was able to do so. 
But how... I have no idea... it just worked that way. I didn't know it itsn't supposed to work like that.

The controls just feel weird to me now Razz

EDIT: Ctrl + W/A/S/D lets you rotate but I'm 100% sure I did not have to press Ctrl to get it to work!
Hello,

Sometimes a key will become "sticky": it acts like being held (or pressed) but in fact no one's pressing it. I experience this glitch in Minecraft (this time the problem key is Shift) and everytime I restarted the game and the game works again. Afterwards, I realise it's so dumb of me to restart the game because I could press Shift (to "unlock" the key) to revert to normal setting. So I think that's the problem. The cause of it is that Ctrl becomes sticky.
J.T.
J.T.
Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Sep 2013, 16:41

Sometimes a key will become "sticky": it acts like being held (or pressed) but in fact no one's pressing it. I experience this glitch in Minecraft (this time the problem key is Shift) and everytime I restarted the game and the game works again. Afterwards, I realise it's so dumb of me to restart the game because I could press Shift (to "unlock" the key) to revert to normal setting. So I think that's the problem. The cause of it is that Ctrl becomes sticky.
That could be it, but then it never 'unstickied' upon (game&PC) restarts which is kinda weird then. Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by J.T. Fri 13 Sep 2013, 16:54

nurbeidir wrote:

That could be it, but then it never 'unstickied' upon (game&PC) restarts which is kinda weird then. Razz
Hello,

This happens to me sometimes. The shift key is sometimes "sticky" even though I restart my computer.
J.T.
J.T.
Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Sep 2013, 17:21

This happens to me sometimes. The shift key is sometimes "sticky" even though I restart my computer.
Oh ok o:
I've got the sims for a couple of days now and during that time I have restarted my PC at least 10 times or so.
Also, I haven't noticed Ctrl being sticky outside the game.

I guess this will remain a mystery then!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dracos66 Fri 13 Sep 2013, 17:43

Have you tried deleting the userPresets.package file from your "My Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims3"? You'll have to reset your resolution and/or any other options like whether to launch the game in window mode or full screen, but it should reset the free camera mode.
Dracos66
Dracos66
G4TW RETIRED Moderator
Discharged with Honors

G4TW RETIRED Moderator Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : AOE I,II,III; Diablo ; Diablo II:LOD ; Spellforce ; Neverwinter Nights ; Planescape Torment ; Sims 1,2 ,3 & 4

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by J.T. Sat 14 Sep 2013, 01:35

nurbeidir wrote:

Oh ok o:
I've got the sims for a couple of days now and during that time I have restarted my PC at least 10 times or so.
Also, I haven't noticed Ctrl being sticky outside the game.

I guess this will remain a mystery then!
Hello,

Similar things happen to me too. The right Shift key is never sticky outside of Minecraft.
J.T.
J.T.
Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 16 Sep 2013, 20:14

Dracos66 wrote:Have you tried deleting the userPresets.package file from your "My Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims3"? You'll have to reset your resolution and/or any other options like whether to launch the game in window mode or full screen, but it should reset the free camera mode.
It's not in there o: http://prntscr.com/1ro8xx

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top