Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Things I wish I could say to people who need help..

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Things I wish I could say to people who need help.. Empty Things I wish I could say to people who need help..

Post by coolcandy3001 Sat 29 Aug 2015, 01:11

1. The gallery has stopped working, stop asking.
2. Your CC is not our problem, stop asking.
3. Look around the freaking forum, I have seen your question at least 1000 times.
coolcandy3001
coolcandy3001
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP
Discharged with Honors
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 8

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Sims, Animal Crossing WW & NL, Tomodachi Life, Sonic Adventure 2, The Dog Island, Minecraft, Terraria & *Many more*

Female

Back to top Go down

Things I wish I could say to people who need help.. Empty Re: Things I wish I could say to people who need help..

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sat 29 Aug 2015, 04:30

coolcandy3001 wrote:1. The gallery has stopped working, stop asking.
3. Look around the freaking forum, I have seen your question at least 1000 times.

You forgot 2 things. Very Happy 

4. Games4theworld does not provide official Mac OS support on The Sims 4.
5. Configuring anti-virus/firewall systems is your responsibility, in the first place.

OK, 5. may be a bit mean, but still. Haters gonna hate  

As for the gallery, SeoY put a big, fat, red notice at the beginning of his now obsolete gallery guide, plus an additional note at the end of the thread (note that the average user is most likely going to read only the beginning and/or the end of a thread !). In addition, I decided to leave the obsolete guide as a "sticky" in the TS4 Fixes-section, hoping that this would at least reduce the number of gallery questions a bit. Also, I'm not sure if you saw this post by this one guy (here), but the reason I did not move this to the "Tips"-section is that it would only cause more complications over time. Imagine the tons of people asking "where can I get an older Origin version lol" or "it's not working for me".

Concerning Mac OS and TS4, personally I would not have made this guide a sticky, unless @Phoebe declared it as working and practical, but OK. I'm not saying you should "shut off" these guides by users who are certainly well-meaning. That's not my intention. But making these threads prominent by placing them right at top (here: by "stickying" them) is also questionable. Especially if it' clear that no Mac support can be given officially. Soon after this was stickied, people started spamming both in the Mac forum, and also in the PC section (!), about their TS4 Mac questions. But this is not meant as criticism toward the Admin or anybody else: whoever made the decision to sticky this guide, I respect that decision. Smile  What I wrote here was only my personal take on this.

Long story short, what I wanted to say with these 2 paragraphs is this: there are ways to somehow "control" the flow of discussions, by means of - for example - stickying/unstickying the "right" messages, making the right announcements in the right places, etc. Most of these "discussion flow controls" are available for Moderators and Admins only, so if you feel you have a good idea about anything in this respect, feel free to get back to them. Smile  But in the end, you should not expect 100% perfect solutions here: there will always be people who don't properly read guides or don't use the search function, and dealing with those people is an essential part of being a team member here. And these people, as long as they stay friendly, also deserve nice and good replies.

Yes, you "can" make an official announcement that G4TW does not give Mac support on TS4, but will that put an end to the questions about "my wineskin doesn't work" ? Probably not. Likewise, you also "can" make an announcement that the gallery isn't working anymore, but it won't prevent those questions either, about connecting to the gallery.

Real-life is far from perfect, and neither is "virtual life" here.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Things I wish I could say to people who need help.. Empty Re: Things I wish I could say to people who need help..

Post by Sim Architect Sat 29 Aug 2015, 06:52

Carlos wrote:

You forgot 2 things. Very Happy 

4. Games4theworld does not provide official Mac OS support on The Sims 4.
5. Configuring anti-virus/firewall systems is your responsibility, in the first place.

OK, 5. may be a bit mean, but still. Haters gonna hate  

As for the gallery, SeoY put a big, fat, red notice at the beginning of his now obsolete gallery guide, plus an additional note at the end of the thread (note that the average user is most likely going to read only the beginning and/or the end of a thread !). In addition, I decided to leave the obsolete guide as a "sticky" in the TS4 Fixes-section, hoping that this would at least reduce the number of gallery questions a bit. Also, I'm not sure if you saw this post by this one guy (here), but the reason I did not move this to the "Tips"-section is that it would only cause more complications over time. Imagine the tons of people asking "where can I get an older Origin version lol" or "it's not working for me".

Concerning Mac OS and TS4, personally I would not have made this guide a sticky, unless @Phoebe declared it as working and practical, but OK. I'm not saying you should "shut off" these guides by users who are certainly well-meaning. That's not my intention. But making these threads prominent by placing them right at top (here: by "stickying" them) is also questionable. Especially if it' clear that no Mac support can be given officially. Soon after this was stickied, people started spamming both in the Mac forum, and also in the PC section (!), about their TS4 Mac questions. But this is not meant as criticism toward the Admin or anybody else: whoever made the decision to sticky this guide, I respect that decision. Smile  What I wrote here was only my personal take on this.

Long story short, what I wanted to say with these 2 paragraphs is this: there are ways to somehow "control" the flow of discussions, by means of - for example - stickying/unstickying the "right" messages, making the right announcements in the right places, etc. Most of these "discussion flow controls" are available for Moderators and Admins only, so if you feel you have a good idea about anything in this respect, feel free to get back to them. Smile  But in the end, you should not expect 100% perfect solutions here: there will always be people who don't properly read guides or don't use the search function, and dealing with those people is an essential part of being a team member here. And these people, as long as they stay friendly, also deserve nice and good replies.

Yes, you "can" make an official announcement that G4TW does not give Mac support on TS4, but will that put an end to the questions about "my wineskin doesn't work" ? Probably not. Likewise, you also "can" make an announcement that the gallery isn't working anymore, but it won't prevent those questions either, about connecting to the gallery.

Real-life is far from perfect, and neither is "virtual life" here.

What he said.
Maybe we could find a polite way to say those things, as part of the forum rules? Ah! And people asking for help through private messages is really annoying! Sometimes they justify themselves because "nobody replied to me yet", even though they PM you the very same day they came up with the question...
Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator
The Gray Eminence :p
G4TW HONORARY Moderator The Gray Eminence :p

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Plants vs Zombies, The Sims 3, Cities Skylines, The Sims 4

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Mon 31 Aug 2015, 02:45

Sim Architect wrote:
What he said.
Maybe we could find a polite way to say those things, as part of the forum rules? Ah! And people asking for help through private messages is really annoying! Sometimes they justify themselves because "nobody replied to me yet", even though they PM you the very same day they came up with the question...

I think the forum rules have a sub-passage stating that users can contact team members after 24 hours of posting their question and not having received a reply. But no earlier than 24 hours. 

Of course, most people don't read the forum rules.

What I also wanted to say, regarding coolcandy's opening post: sure the topics/questions tend to be repetitive, but if you feel like it, you could do it like me (back then), and "diversify" your work on here: write guides/tutorials or other stuff. Make polls. Or post some off-topic stuff too, on occasion. Anything that is different from the sims-centered topics. Maybe it can help make things interesting, and if the stuff you post is at least somewhat good, you may even expect some feedback from users here.

Also, it may be worth thinking about assigning "informal" roles on here: for example, if someone's good with in-game related stuff, let him/her focus solely on the in-game sections of [insert game name here]. Or if somebody likes doing videos of sorts, then there is another area of focus.

One more thing: in the end, there is a lot you can do yourself to make things interesting. Keep in mind that the basis for something like a "community" cannot be created overnight. It takes time and usually lots of (regular) work. Things usually cannot "by themselves" become interesting. Before me, Shamrock, and then also Phoebe became Moderators, there was a very long period of...I don't know how to call it. But "before" us, there was Admin/Lady ElDi, but not many other Helpers. Still it was enough to take care of the forum. I recall a number of older topics (in the off-topic forum) from a number of regular users that were also active around the time Lady ElDi was Moderator. But virtually (?) all these people from back then are gone now.

Note that over time, people will remember your name if you are active on here for a longer period of time. Just a week or two ago again I was briefly on the chatbox, where there was a user, who said I helped her in the past numerous times, although I didn't recall it. And even if those users don't come here regularly, the occasional chats can be nice.

Be creative, and think about ways how to "make things interesting". You will not regret it, if you plan to be active on here for longer. Smile
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sim Architect Mon 31 Aug 2015, 16:47

Yes, I plan on being active here for a very long time. I just find that people want reply too fast (even 24 hours is too little of time considering that we are only here part of our time etc). If someone doesn't get a reply after a week, then we could think of it, but isn't that what "bumps" are for, so a forgotten topic gets back to the top in case the user is still waiting for help?

Anyway, I will keep doing my best, and I will keep diverting people who ask for help through private messages, unless it's something real quick that I can reply with a short sentence. Otherwise the solution won't be shared with other people etc...

Thanks for the comments, anyway! I'll look forward to keep learning Wink (I have read the forum rules a long time ago, but I surely forget many of them, sorry, so I wonder about the regular users...).

I made the font where I say I do NOT provide support through PM larger, and I will make it even larger if necessary. I did not get many messages after that Wink

Time to check if there are questions that I am able to answer, see you!!

Last edited by Sim Architect on Tue 01 Sep 2015, 01:14; edited 1 time in total
Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoebe Mon 31 Aug 2015, 17:29

Hello all,

First of all, I'd like to say The Sims 4 doesn't work on Mac right now, even with Wine or Bootcamp or etc, unless you don't buy the game. It seems working, then after few opening, suddenly it doesn't and you don't know why. And I think no one can say it's working without being able to start is succesfully three times in a row.

Also about that "How to Run Sims 4 with Wine on Your Mac" topic by wataru2 makes everything harder for us... As it doesn't help at all.

I am so tired of hearing "I can't make my Wine work" stuff too, Carlos. I can't even make my Wine work, and I don't know why..  Laughing 

I think we need to tell specifically that we can't give any Mac support for The Sims 4, as there is nothing to support unfortunately.

Other than that, being a helper/moderator/Admin means having to tell the same things over and over again even if no one listens and ask again again. It's like being a mother and teacher... I don't mind, I am used to it Razz 

In time, I guess everyone get used to it, or quit.
Phoebe
Phoebe
G4TW RETIRED Moderatrix
Discharged with Honors

G4TW RETIRED Moderatrix Discharged with Honors

Windows version :

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims series, Elder Scrolls Skyrim, The Walking Dead, Sacred I-II, Fables,Vampire Masquerade Bloodlines, Civilization, Don't Starve, Popmundo

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sim Architect Mon 31 Aug 2015, 19:27

Phoebe wrote:Hello all,

First of all, I'd like to say The Sims 4 doesn't work on Mac right now, even with Wine or Bootcamp or etc, unless you don't buy the game. It seems working, then after few opening, suddenly it doesn't and you don't know why. And I think no one can say it's working without being able to start is succesfully three times in a row.

Also about that "How to Run Sims 4 with Wine on Your Mac" topic by wataru2 makes everything harder for us... As it doesn't help at all.

I am so tired of hearing "I can't make my Wine work" stuff too, Carlos. I can't even make my Wine work, and I don't know why..  Laughing 

I think we need to tell specifically that we can't give any Mac support for The Sims 4, as there is nothing to support unfortunately.

Other than that, being a helper/moderator/Admin means having to tell the same things over and over again even if no one listens and ask again again. It's like being a mother and teacher... I don't mind, I am used to it Razz 

In time, I guess everyone get used to it, or quit.
I am creating a word document with "default answers" to those questions, then "copy & paste" Very Happy

Tea 1 Tea 1
Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Wed 02 Sep 2015, 02:06

Phoebe wrote:Hello all,

(...)

Yes, this wataru2-user was certainly well-meaning, but in the long run, not many people can do "something" with the guide. Normal users who come here for help only see "Sticky", and they think that is going to solve their problems. They don't ask who the person is who wrote the guide. And most of them don't really understand that (real) people need to come here regularly and answer people's questions.

There were some other users before asking why G4TW does not do anything about Mac. Some even pointed out that "everything is on the internet already". Indeed, I believe all these people are using the same wineskin-method, but again: this is not a blog or wiki. Team members need to come here regularly and help other users. I'm not sure about you, but I haven't seen much from wataru2 after that. He or she probably had the 15 minutes of fame - "on the G4TW forum" - although I have to admit that this view is highly cynical ( Facepalm  ). Still I find we should re- evaluate the procedure of adding or not adding guides from normal users, to the Fixes/Tips sections. If you scroll up again to my first reply, I briefly mentioned this post about a guy who wrote about a workaround to connecting to the gallery with a pirated Sims 4. As a fun fact, he edited his post soon after and replaced the text with dots. Maybe he felt ashamed or something ...? Or he maybe expected that I move this to the Sims 4 tips ? In any case, I decided not to add this post to the official tips, because of practical reasons. That is actually the same case as with the guide from wataru2, just in a Windows context.

About the Mac section, you can make an "Announcement" there (just post a new thread, and before you click on "send", make sure to scroll down and select "post topic as.. announcement"). And in that announcement you say that you simply don't give Mac support on Sims 4. I would also lock that topic then, in case people start asking questions there. Or if you have another idea, go ahead with that one, then.

Very Happy   alien
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top