Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Sims 4 EA Backdoor?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Sims 4 EA Backdoor? Empty The Sims 4 EA Backdoor?

Post by Guest Sun 19 Mar 2017, 00:06

I downloaded G4TW version of The Sims 4 and I accidentally launched Origin withing the games directory. This caused an automated email to send to my internet provider saying that the version of the sims 4 is pirated therefore my internet provider emailed me stating that I have been reported by the copyright holder of sims 4. Saying it was a illegal copy. Basically gave me a warning. So my thought is that don't run the origin within the games directory since EA has a Backdoor system implemented to catch people pirating there game. I don't know if someone already knew this but I thought this would help.

Back to top Go down

The Sims 4 EA Backdoor? Empty Re: The Sims 4 EA Backdoor?

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sun 19 Mar 2017, 00:17

Jackson204 wrote:I downloaded G4TW version of The Sims 4 and I accidentally launched Origin withing the games directory. This caused an automated email to send to my internet provider saying that the version of the sims 4 is pirated therefore my internet provider emailed me stating that I have been reported by the copyright holder of sims 4. Saying it was a illegal copy. Basically gave me a warning. So my thought is that don't run the origin within the games directory since EA has a Backdoor system implemented to catch people pirating there game. I don't know if someone already knew this but I thought this would help.

//MOVED

Hello and welcome to the Forum @Jackson204,

I moved your topic to "The Sims Emporium". Do you happen to have screenshots at hand for this stuff? Also, what do you mean by "launched Origin within the Games directory"? I have an Origin basegame of The Sims 4 installed since September 2014, in a different location than the cracked one, and I still play various games on Origin from time to time. But never got any such e-mail.

Let's see if someone else reports something similar, but this is the first time I have heard from this.

Edit: I don't live in the US, so maybe that also plays a role here?
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 19 Mar 2017, 01:12

I dont have a screenshot atm. If you open up files withing the directory of the sims you can find a Origin.exe. (I deleted Sims 4 so I cant give an exact path) now idk if it is because of that. I just assumed it was. Thats why I posted about it so someone can kind of figure out whats causing it to do that. This is the 1st time this has happend to me.
It could be because you don't live in the US.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 19 Mar 2017, 11:11

I have legit and not, never had any problems, im in the US.

though i have dualboot with 2 windows installations to keep them isolated.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 19 Mar 2017, 13:22

Jackson204 wrote:I downloaded G4TW version of The Sims 4 and I accidentally launched Origin withing the games directory. This caused an automated email to send to my internet provider saying that the version of the sims 4 is pirated therefore my internet provider emailed me stating that I have been reported by the copyright holder of sims 4. Saying it was a illegal copy. Basically gave me a warning. So my thought is that don't run the origin within the games directory since EA has a Backdoor system implemented to catch people pirating there game. I don't know if someone already knew this but I thought this would help.

Origin within the games directory ??
I have both legal and pirated on my computer, but these are the only instances of Origin:

The Sims 4 EA Backdoor? Origin_orig

So nowhere within my install folder of the Sims 4

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sun 19 Mar 2017, 13:59

Jackson204 wrote:I dont have a screenshot atm. If you open up files withing the directory of the sims you can find a Origin.exe. (I deleted Sims 4 so I cant give an exact path) now idk if it is because of that. (...) Thats why I posted about it so someone can kind of figure out whats causing it to do that. 

I do not have any instance of an "Origin.exe" either in my directory of the G4TW The Sims 4 (nor in my legit Origin-game), so I suppose we're kind of in a dilemma here. So you say after you allegedly used this mysterious Origin.exe, you immediately got a window saying the game was pirated and your ISP was informed? Did you receive an official warning letter from your ISP as well...?

I am sorry if you really experienced issues with your ISP due to downloading torrented games (maybe this thread can help you for future reference). But the way you recounted your initial story does not appear to be consistent, if I may be allowed to say so.

P.S. the "real" Origin.exe starts up your installed Origin-client and brings you to the login-prompt.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 19 Mar 2017, 15:52

I'm trying to reconstruct your issue.
1. Ï've copied origin.exe into my pirated install folder and ran origin from there; Result Origin could not connect via internet.
2. same as above but now into install folder - Game - Bin. Result: same as above
3. Copied the entire Origin folder into my install folder. Ran origin.exe. Result: I could log in to Origin but no side-effects
4. Copied the entire install folder as in 3. into the Origin folder. Ran Origin. Result: Origin opens, no further problems
5. From the folder as described in 4. I started the Sims 4. Result: Game started

I downloaded G4TW version of The Sims 4 and I accidentally launched Origin withing the games directory.
That would lead to the error: Cannot connect to internet.
Here I copied Origin.exe into my The Sims 4 folder

The Sims 4 EA Backdoor? Origin-in-sims_orig

Here I started Origin.exe from the Sims 4 folder

The Sims 4 EA Backdoor? Origin_1_orig

So whatever I try to do, I do not get your messages described.
Please tell me what to do to get these messages.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 21 Mar 2017, 04:06

Listen I got an email not a pop up nor anything else other than an email from my ISP stating I have been reported by The Sims 4 Copyright Holder. I pretty much assumed it was this .exe I ran since it was in one of the sub-folders within the directory (that was my fault for not explaining it better sorry). That .exe was connected to the internet and the only way EA would of found out that I had an pirated version of there game. It could of been something else that I did that could of alerted them, but I didn't do much besides play the game. This personally scared the **** out of me when I seen this email.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 21 Mar 2017, 10:41

Have you checked that email for correct mail-adress of your ISP ?
When it looks like ISP@gmail.com or hotmail, then somebody just tried to frighten you (and succeeded)

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Tue 21 Mar 2017, 12:11

That e-mail address of yours, on which you got this "warning". Was that e-mail address/account provided by your ISP? Or, did you give this contact address to your ISP yourself...?

And besides, you can theoretically get caught whilst torrenting as well (which is why some people prefer using good VPNs for torrenting).
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 23 Apr 2017, 17:43

It could be your internet provider specifically. I don't live in the USA but we are USA citizens and we must follow a big majority of Americans laws and I had this internet provider once that would watch your internet activity very closely and this guy once called my brother to tell him that he was downloading way too many illegal movies and to stop before the company noticed him and report him. We changed of internet provider and this one doesn't give a crap  IAmSoHappyEmergahwd

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 24 Apr 2017, 05:07

To me it honestly sounds like he got caught torrenting the game and his ISP sent out an email because of that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top