Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Installing Sims 3 Complete Collection on (D:), but losing space on (C:)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Installing Sims 3 Complete Collection on (D:), but losing space on (C:) Empty Installing Sims 3 Complete Collection on (D:), but losing space on (C:)

Post by Guest Tue 20 Jun 2017, 15:08

I have a bit of a problem with the installation of Sims 3 Complete Collection.
I am installing every game/expansion on drive (D:) instead of drive (C:) to save space on C (where I only have around 80GB of free storage space).
The base game swallowed around 40GB of the C-drive, World Adventures took almost 30GB of the C-drive. But why?
I always change the installation location during the setup and it should not act this way.

There is nothing to be found on C: either, which makes things even stranger.
I have had Sims 3 installed (every single expansion from your site) many years ago without it taking up this much space.
Any suggestions? I really do not want to re-format my computer to clear space on C..  Why.

-

Edit: I formatted the computer now, could not manage with barely no space for long. I am just wondering if this scenario happens for others as well? Am I doing something wrong? At least I have a clean slate now to work from, but I don't dare to start installing the collection again until I clear this out.

Back to top Go down

Installing Sims 3 Complete Collection on (D:), but losing space on (C:) Empty Re: Installing Sims 3 Complete Collection on (D:), but losing space on (C:)

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ Tue 20 Jun 2017, 18:22

Hello,

Well, formatting the computer might've been a bit much.
It's extremely weird though that the base game alone took 40GB? It's not even close to that size...
Did you pre-create the folders, before you started installing?
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix
First Lady / Commander-In-Chief
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix First Lady / Commander-In-Chief

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Back to top Go down

Installing Sims 3 Complete Collection on (D:), but losing space on (C:) Empty Re: Installing Sims 3 Complete Collection on (D:), but losing space on (C:)

Post by Guest Tue 20 Jun 2017, 18:50

Ɛɗιη wrote:Hello,

Well, formatting the computer might've been a bit much.
It's extremely weird though that the base game alone took 40GB? It's not even close to that size...
Did you pre-create the folders, before you started installing?

I had to format, found no other way to free up the space since I could not find what it was exactly that filled up the space.
Yes, it is very strange. Last time I had everything installed I think it did not even surpass 30GB if I remember correctly.
I pre-created folders beforehand, and installed on D (I noticed that it grabbed a few GB from D), but it still maxed out my C-drive for some reason.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Jun 2017, 01:52

Normally this may not happen when installing ts3. Now i have ts3 legal, also the ep's and sp's (except katy perry stuff and diesel, i don't dig those). I have currently installed ts3 up to the last ep (into the future) and updated it to the last patch, which is 1.69. The sims 3 does create a folder on c, under documents. But if i look to my sims 3 folder it is 362 MB big. This is the default size after installation. Haven't done anything with it yet. I have installed the sims 3 on my E drive, which i use as my standard games partition. Every other game goes in here as well, such as black desert, the sims 2, borderlands 2, dex, etc. The sims 3 folder filled under documents starts to grow as soon as you install stuff through the launcher, such as store stuff and mods. Worlds which are released on the store, such as riverview and barnacle bay, also go into the documents folder instead of the installation folder. And every sims3pack which got installed goes into DCBackup and DCCache. Especially DCCache is a folder which can rapidly grow. Here an explanation of the folders: http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS3_User_Folders_Explained

And you didn't need to format just to free up space. First look into any folder you have and be sure that you have revealed hidden folders. Things like temporary folders can get full as well. And with the sims 3 take a look to dcbackup and dccache, as those are the folders which can grow in size as you start to install mods and store stuff.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Jun 2017, 02:35

candesco wrote:Normally this may not happen when installing ts3. Now i have ts3 legal, also the ep's and sp's (except katy perry stuff and diesel, i don't dig those). I have currently installed ts3 up to the last ep (into the future) and updated it to the last patch, which is 1.69. The sims 3 does create a folder on c, under documents. But if i look to my sims 3 folder it is 362 MB big. This is the default size after installation. Haven't done anything with it yet. I have installed the sims 3 on my E drive, which i use as my standard games partition. Every other game goes in here as well, such as black desert, the sims 2, borderlands 2, dex, etc. The sims 3 folder filled under documents starts to grow as soon as you install stuff through the launcher, such as store stuff and mods. Worlds which are released on the store, such as riverview and barnacle bay, also go into the documents folder instead of the installation folder. And every sims3pack which got installed goes into DCBackup and DCCache. Especially DCCache is a folder which can rapidly grow. Here an explanation of the folders: http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS3_User_Folders_Explained

And you didn't need to format just to free up space. First look into any folder you have and be sure that you have revealed hidden folders. Things like temporary folders can get full as well. And with the sims 3 take a look to dcbackup and dccache, as those are the folders which can grow in size as you start to install mods and store stuff.

Thank you for the answer! I didn't even think about revealing hidden folders. Too frustrated to think. Still very strange that it happened, it is definitely not a normal problem.
What I did now to "solve" it was to switch out the D-drive to a different drive I had stored at home. Also directed the C-drive's "documents" to the new D-drive and went to town with installing every single EP and SP - because it is working now. I am not sure how the D-drive would affect the C-drive in the first place, and I would think that by directing the documents folder from one drive to another would not have made a difference really. But whatever it was, it is now fixed and I can play happily ever after.
I posted mostly to see if others have had the same issue and to hear how or if they solved it. I just took the drastic way for solving the problem, too impatient.
Thanks again! If I ever have problems once more with running out of space, I will definitely use some of these tips.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top