Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Moving to a new computer! Cant find game save files

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Moving to a new computer! Cant find game save files Empty Moving to a new computer! Cant find game save files

Post by Guest Mon 04 Sep 2017, 01:15

I got a new laptop and downloaded the sims 4 again. I am praying I don't have to recreate everything I did already. Where can I find the save files from my previous sims 4 so I can port it over to my new laptop?

Back to top Go down

Moving to a new computer! Cant find game save files Empty Re: Moving to a new computer! Cant find game save files

Post by Guest Mon 04 Sep 2017, 09:49

In user\username\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4

or

in OneDrive\Documents\Electronic Arts'\The Sims 4

Back to top Go down

Moving to a new computer! Cant find game save files Empty Re: Moving to a new computer! Cant find game save files

Post by Guest Mon 04 Sep 2017, 15:59

Okay, so would these be the save files? Moving to a new computer! Cant find game save files Captur10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 04 Sep 2017, 16:15

Hi,

No. That would be your tray items. I'm wondering why it's inside your Game installation folder however.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 04 Sep 2017, 16:17

I can't see the complete folder but I can only guess that your Program Files for the Sims 4 are in the same directory as your Documents files.
The blue circled items should not be in the same directory of SP08,09,10,12 aso. (SP 11 is missing anyway)
The circled items should be in Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\Tray

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 04 Sep 2017, 17:03

Okay so here is the installation folder from the old save :Moving to a new computer! Cant find game save files Captur10

And the previous picture was from my new computer. Thank you for pointing out that I missed a file when downloading. I'll go find it

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 04 Sep 2017, 17:05

I don't know why they are inside of the game folder on my old save. The game runs perfectly, I didn't know they weren't supposed to be there.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 04 Sep 2017, 17:14

Hey,

The installation folder basically means where you had installed the game to so it should either be Program Files (x86)/Program Files. I'm seeing yours is at Program Files so that's fine. 
Those tray files might be your household, though it's not exactly the save file. Did you find anything inside Documents/One drive like Tarac had mentioned?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 04 Sep 2017, 17:20

I'm not seeing anything called one drive (sorry if im misunderstanding you) 
Moving to a new computer! Cant find game save files Captur11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 04 Sep 2017, 17:50

Oh dear, there's no need to apologize. I see that you have EA folder there. Is there a Sims 4 folder inside? If yes, you can find your save files in there.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 04 Sep 2017, 17:54

This is what was inside the Sims 4 folder: Moving to a new computer! Cant find game save files Captur12
Moving to a new computer! Cant find game save files Captur13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 04 Sep 2017, 18:04

Oh, it looks like there's alot of stuff mixed up inside. Your saves can be found inside the saves folder and trays are basically your household or lots you have downloaded. Your Documents and Sims 4 installation folder should look as follow: 
//I've installed mine on external disk so yours should be Program Files. (:
Document folder:
Sims 4 folder:
EDIT:
You have a couple that won't show in mine (those last exceptions and such). Just move them out to another folder (you can make like a sims4others in desktop or something similar).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 04 Sep 2017, 18:14

I'm sorry to say, but it's a complete mesh. You've mixed up everything.
I can only suggest that you remove EVERYTHING and start anew.
Items that should have been in the Program Files section are in the Documents and vice versa.

You can't have problems with installing the base game because that's done for you.
As soon as the base game is installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4, rightclick on the folder The Sims 4 and select CUT then rightclick on the folder Program Files (x86) and select PASTE.
Consequently your install folder will now be C:\Program Files (x86)\The Sims 4.

Now, after you have extracted the download for Get to Work with Winrar, you select the various files and folders (CTRL+A), copy them (CTRL+C) and go to your install folder (you know C:\Program Files (x86)\The Sims 4) open that The Sims 4 folder and paste (CTRL+V) the selected items.
When asked for overwriting existing files, YES !

Repeat this with Get Together, City Living, Vampires/Toddlers.
When you've finished Vampires/Toddlers delete the folder Game from your install folder C:\Program Files (x86)\The Sims 4.
Now copy/paste as you did before Parenthood, Fitness and Toddler Stuff
After Toddler Stuff you again delete the folder Game from your install folder C:\Program Files (x86)\The Sims 4.
Download and extract with Winrar THIS FOLDER
Copy the newly downloaded folder Game to your install folder C:\Program Files (x86)\The Sims 4.

Start your game as an Administrator with TS4.exe or TS4_x64.exe from your install folder C:\Program Files (x64)\The Sims 4\Game\Bin (make a shortcut for your desktop)

(I once made a video on how to install the G4TW downloads but had to remove it from the website upon instructions of Electronic Arts, nevertheless I'll try and make a new one tomorrow and mail you the link, meanwhile have a look at THIS PAGE)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 04 Sep 2017, 18:38

Thank you so much for helping me! I don't know if I would have had the heart to restart all my sims. I can't thank you enough! I found my saves and now they are on my new computer. 
I was able to organize everything to be neat with my new computer so thank you both for helping me with that too!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 04 Sep 2017, 18:41

God'sKitten wrote:Thank you so much for helping me! I don't know if I would have had the heart to restart all my sims. I can't thank you enough! I found my saves and now they are on my new computer. 
I was able to organize everything to be neat with my new computer so thank you both for helping me with that too!
Glad you managed to find your saves!

I'll keep this topic open for the moment in case you have any other problems loading the new saves/or installing the game on your new computer.  Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Mon 04 Sep 2017, 19:31

God'sKitten wrote:Thank you so much for helping me! I don't know if I would have had the heart to restart all my sims. I can't thank you enough! I found my saves and now they are on my new computer. 

For future reference, maybe it is worth looking at the 'bigger picture' in this. Smile  If two different folders (installation folder + documents folder) are in two different locations, then there is usually a reason for that. Even if you transfer those two folders onto a new computer, they still have to be inserted into the corresponding folder locations on the new computer, as well. A.k.a., and not mixed up.

Some games or game platforms like Steam make it a bit easier, in so far as you just have to transfer one folder. With regards to Steam that is C:\Program files (x86)\Steam. But on Origin it seems they choose two different folder locations because they thought it fit to prevent users from "accidentally" removing their savefiles, when uninstalling the actual game. So when a game does get removed, you'll typically still have your savefiles - in the other folder location.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top