Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unable to download base game. [CLOSED]

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Unable to download base game. [CLOSED] Empty Unable to download base game. [CLOSED]

Post by Guest Fri 23 Aug 2019, 00:22

Hello everyone!

Hope all is well. I recently had to dump my computer and now I need to download The Sims 4 again...I tried using the magnet link like I did before but now it takes me to a site where I have to wait to access the link (which is completely fine, I do not have an issue with that) but when I complete the steps required to download the magnet the page just spins until it says that the site cannot be reached.

Any thoughts?

Thanks! Smile

Back to top Go down

Unable to download base game. [CLOSED] Empty Re: Unable to download base game. [CLOSED]

Post by Guest Fri 23 Aug 2019, 00:58

I have continued to troubleshoot this issue and have tried three different browsers (Chrome, Firefox, and Edge) all with no success. I have cleared cache and cookies etc. It keeps telling me that it has timed out after inactivity. Not sure if I am doing something wrong here...

Back to top Go down

Unable to download base game. [CLOSED] Empty Re: Unable to download base game. [CLOSED]

Post by The_gh0stm4n Fri 23 Aug 2019, 18:22

AlwaysSimming wrote:I have continued to troubleshoot this issue and have tried three different browsers (Chrome, Firefox, and Edge) all with no success. I have cleared cache and cookies etc. It keeps telling me that it has timed out after inactivity. Not sure if I am doing something wrong here...

A daring suggestion: have you tried accessing the (magnet) link through a VPN? Seems rather unlikely to work, but you never know. The advertising company seems to use CloudFlare as well now, so any downtimes on their end should be very brief, if they happen at all.

Other suggestions: what about browser extensions or add-ons, have you checked if they might interfere with your ability to access the stuff? And is there any other "security" software present too, that might interfere?

And yes, we use that advertising company to generate a little bit of revenue, and to help us finance a new server. But you can use the stuff from ThePirateBay or the old website, and without these ads. Which is probably not going to solve the root issue, since we run all of the newer stuff through the advertising company. But as a partial fix it could help.

You could also check out this thread here, and in particular try doing the step #4, about changing your DNS servers. Not sure if that can play a role, but still worth a try as well.

Troubleshooting feedback on the issue so far has been inconclusive, some people said it's because of Firefox. Others said it worked for them only with Edge, etc. So I'm afraid I can't really offer more suggestions - for the time being.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Aug 2019, 23:52

The_gh0stm4n wrote:
AlwaysSimming wrote:I have continued to troubleshoot this issue and have tried three different browsers (Chrome, Firefox, and Edge) all with no success. I have cleared cache and cookies etc. It keeps telling me that it has timed out after inactivity. Not sure if I am doing something wrong here...

A daring suggestion: have you tried accessing the (magnet) link through a VPN? Seems rather unlikely to work, but you never know. The advertising company seems to use CloudFlare as well now, so any downtimes on their end should be very brief, if they happen at all.

Other suggestions: what about browser extensions or add-ons, have you checked if they might interfere with your ability to access the stuff? And is there any other "security" software present too, that might interfere?

And yes, we use that advertising company to generate a little bit of revenue, and to help us finance a new server. But you can use the stuff from ThePirateBay or the old website, and without these ads. Which is probably not going to solve the root issue, since we run all of the newer stuff through the advertising company. But as a partial fix it could help.

You could also check out this thread here, and in particular try doing the step #4, about changing your DNS servers. Not sure if that can play a role, but still worth a try as well.

Troubleshooting feedback on the issue so far has been inconclusive, some people said it's because of Firefox. Others said it worked for them only with Edge, etc. So I'm afraid I can't really offer more suggestions - for the time being.

I always use a VPN while online. I will try changing my DNS to see if that makes a difference! Smile Thanks for the suggestions.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sat 24 Aug 2019, 00:01

AlwaysSimming wrote:I always use a VPN while online. I will try changing my DNS to see if that makes a difference! Smile Thanks for the suggestions.

If you are connecting to US-based servers in your VPN, can you try connecting to other countries to see if it makes any difference?

Edit: was struggling myself with even commenting on here and changing stuff with the mod/admin-tools, when I realized something was apparently wrong with my default VPN server. Switched to a different country, and seems to work now!!

DedicatedToLorilihim
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sat 31 Aug 2019, 16:31

By the way, weren't you one of the old Admin's Helpers, at some point in the past?

Why I am bringing up this question/statement? Just an observation I made while doing stuff on the adminpanel. But there is another reason I am bumping this topic, which I thought I let you & other people know. Also maybe in advance of the upcoming "Magic DLC" for The Sims 4.

AlwaysSimming wrote:(...) but now it takes me to a site where I have to wait to access the link (which is completely fine, I do not have an issue with that)

Emphasis on the part in bold red. Just to be clear, there is no 'penalty' for merely stating that someone does not approve of the ads. As long as civility is being kept. Not doubting your statement, but just saying it on a very general level. People can absolutely be honest with us in that regard.

My replies, however, will then always be the same: it's that times are changing and costs rise dramatically. Forumotion (the company hosting this Forum) are now charging - what we consider - an unreasonable amount of money for features that were available for free during the era of the old Admin. Plus, the old website and domain are still controlled by the ex-Admin, so we will need to come up with a solution for that as well. We already have purchased a couple of new domains though, more stuff may follow soon.

Despite the naively-idealistic and anachronistic ramblings of some former guest contributors and other users here, paying everything out of our own pockets is not an option.

And in case anybody was wondering, "anachronistic" basically is a very nice way of expressing that someone is out of touch with modern realities. I was going to use a different adjective here, but you know, since we strive to be a family-friendly site, it may not have been the best choice of words.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Sep 2019, 22:32

The_gh0stm4n wrote:By the way, weren't you one of the old Admin's Helpers, at some point in the past?

Why I am bringing up this question/statement? Just an observation I made while doing stuff on the adminpanel. But there is another reason I am bumping this topic, which I thought I let you & other people know. Also maybe in advance of the upcoming "Magic DLC" for The Sims 4.

AlwaysSimming wrote:(...) but now it takes me to a site where I have to wait to access the link (which is completely fine, I do not have an issue with that)

Emphasis on the part in bold red. Just to be clear, there is no 'penalty' for merely stating that someone does not approve of the ads. As long as civility is being kept. Not doubting your statement, but just saying it on a very general level. People can absolutely be honest with us in that regard.

My replies, however, will then always be the same: it's that times are changing and costs rise dramatically. Forumotion (the company hosting this Forum) are now charging - what we consider - an unreasonable amount of money for features that were available for free during the era of the old Admin. Plus, the old website and domain are still controlled by the ex-Admin, so we will need to come up with a solution for that as well. We already have purchased a couple of new domains though, more stuff may follow soon.

Despite the naively-idealistic and anachronistic ramblings of some former guest contributors and other users here, paying everything out of our own pockets is not an option.

And in case anybody was wondering, "anachronistic" basically is a very nice way of expressing that someone is out of touch with modern realities. I was going to use a different adjective here, but you know, since we strive to be a family-friendly site, it may not have been the best choice of words.

Yes! I was! Smile Always happy to help where I can and I would again if needed. However, back to the ads. That is very unfortunate that the site is now charging for services they used to offer for free...

[not]Since everything has been said, I suppose I will close the thread now. Carlos is tha man

- The_gh0stm4n[/not]

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top