Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Attempting to change The Sims 2 Resolution to 2560x1440. [SOLVED]

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Attempting to change The Sims 2 Resolution to 2560x1440. [SOLVED] Empty Attempting to change The Sims 2 Resolution to 2560x1440. [SOLVED]

Post by Guest Mon 20 Apr 2020, 17:57

So I've downloaded the new Origin version of The Sims 2 and tried to use the "GraphicsRulesMaker". 
Changed the resolution there, added my graphics card to the database and hit save.

Didn't work so i try to change the resolution manually following the PDF, go into game.

Still does not work.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled but to no avail it only shows up the default resolution.

I've managed to do this manually before for The Sims Castaway Stories and it worked fine.

Where am I going wrong?

Back to top Go down

Attempting to change The Sims 2 Resolution to 2560x1440. [SOLVED] Empty Re: Attempting to change The Sims 2 Resolution to 2560x1440. [SOLVED]

Post by The_gh0stm4n Mon 20 Apr 2020, 19:38

Brandoosh wrote:(...)

Where am I going wrong?

Hello @Brandoosh,

Have you tried editing the resolution to "one of the other options", in the Graphics Rules Maker? Does the game recognize these other resolutions? Try 1920 x 1080 for the moment and see what happens. I would have thought that ... if these other resolutions work, it could be an indicator that the game doesn't recognize certain higher resolutions. Which is just a theory from me, mind you.

If you want to give it a try, familiarize yourself with editing folder permissions manually, and then apply the procedure to the folder shown here:

Attempting to change The Sims 2 Resolution to 2560x1440. [SOLVED] DkoNKBB

So the folder "Config". You can continue with progressively editing the folders, located upwards in that hierarchy. So Res => TSData => SP9 => Fun with Pets => and so forth.

Good luck!
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Attempting to change The Sims 2 Resolution to 2560x1440. [SOLVED] Empty Re: Attempting to change The Sims 2 Resolution to 2560x1440. [SOLVED]

Post by Guest Mon 20 Apr 2020, 19:56

The_gh0stm4n wrote:
Brandoosh wrote:(...)

Where am I going wrong?

Hello @Brandoosh,

Have you tried editing the resolution to "one of the other options", in the Graphics Rules Maker? Does the game recognize these other resolutions? Try 1920 x 1080 for the moment and see what happens. I would have thought that ... if these other resolutions work, it could be an indicator that the game doesn't recognize certain higher resolutions. Which is just a theory from me, mind you.

If you want to give it a try, familiarize yourself with editing folder permissions manually, and then apply the procedure to the folder shown here:

Attempting to change The Sims 2 Resolution to 2560x1440. [SOLVED] DkoNKBB

So the folder "Config". You can continue with progressively editing the folders, located upwards in that hierarchy. So Res => TSData => SP9 => Fun with Pets => and so forth.

Good luck!
So I've changed the permissions and changed the resolution to 1080 in the Graphics Rule Maker and still we are only getting 800x600.

I've gone in to change it all manually and it seems that the Graphics Rule Maker did not change my the resolution to 1080, so i've now done that manually but im still only getting 800x600.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Mon 20 Apr 2020, 20:19

There might be another way; right-click on the "Config"-folder highlighted above and go under Properties => Security => Advanced.

Attempting to change The Sims 2 Resolution to 2560x1440. [SOLVED] UJ4oDtm

Highlight whatever user account you are currently logged in with (or the option "Everyone"), and go under "View". See if you can mark the option "Full Control" there, and confirm/save the choice.

Due to these permission problems with Windows (10), I've resorted to using a different user account, although it's a dubious method of going about the problem at hand.

//EDIT

Sorry, I got it wrong (maybe). You can also try editing folder permissions by going under Properties => Security => (To change permissions, click) Edit.

Attempting to change The Sims 2 Resolution to 2560x1440. [SOLVED] 5rfJpiw
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 20 Apr 2020, 20:45

So i'm pretty sure i've changed the permissions now.
Attempting to change The Sims 2 Resolution to 2560x1440. [SOLVED] Screen11

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Mon 20 Apr 2020, 21:19

I looked above again, and noticed you said that you tried changing the files manually. Can you try doing so again, but then (in Notepad) choose "Save as", and then save the files on the Desktop?

From there copy-paste the files to the Config-folder, and replace the old files when prompted.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 20 Apr 2020, 21:55

The_gh0stm4n wrote:I looked above again, and noticed you said that you tried changing the files manually. Can you try doing so again, but then (in Notepad) choose "Save as", and then save the files on the Desktop?

From there copy-paste the files to the Config-folder, and replace the old files when prompted.
still nothing.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Mon 20 Apr 2020, 22:09

Brandoosh wrote:still nothing.

OK, try using my own files here, which I uploaded. Extract with 7-zip, and into your Config-folder. Replace existing files.
https://is.gd/jjpGN1

It's probably not going to include your graphics card, but see if it lets you play at least on 1920 x 1080.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 20 Apr 2020, 22:15

it did not, still at 800x600.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Mon 20 Apr 2020, 22:25

Try another one here:

Code:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/fws46rf7lxu2h3l/Graphics_Rules.sgr/file

I would also try downloading and installing the older DirectX9 runtimes here, maybe that can also play a role here.
https://is.gd/Ul5vVZ

Also, what if you look at the actual in-game settings, under Graphics, does it allow you or give you the choice between various screen resolutions?
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 20 Apr 2020, 22:53

alright, so i've launched the "DXSETUP.exe" in that download and placed the new config you sent over.
I have been going in game each time to check the graphics but it still is giving me that 1 option.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Mon 20 Apr 2020, 23:00

I mean at that point, and if you haven't done so already, I'd have suggested you try and edit the folder permissions also for the "parent folders", so Res => TSData => SP9 => Fun with Pets => The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection.

But I'm afraid I don't have any other ideas for the moment. Some people suggested that the game has "problems" generally, with newer Windows systems and maybe newer hardware too.

Sorry I couldn't help more, but I can leave the topic open, so maybe someone else has other ideas!
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 20 Apr 2020, 23:26

hmmm. so i've gone onto my other account on my pc and changed permissions and it's loaded up absolutely fine in 1080.
why wont it run on my account then?

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Mon 20 Apr 2020, 23:35

Brandoosh wrote:hmmm. so i've gone onto my other account on my pc and changed permissions and it's loaded up absolutely fine in 1080.

You'd have to ask Bill Gates for that. danger! beware!!  

No, but seriously, that's good news I suppose! Windows systems have strange machinations sometimes, especially with regards to file & folder-permissions. I think I mentioned it above, but this is the reason I am using that "hidden Admin" account on Windows 10. Since then I've never experienced any more problems on that end.

Windows 7 already had these hiccups on occasion, but things were still doable for the most part. Things got a lot worse with Windows 8 & 10, however. Killkillkillkill!
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 21 Apr 2020, 12:35

The_gh0stm4n wrote:
Brandoosh wrote:hmmm. so i've gone onto my other account on my pc and changed permissions and it's loaded up absolutely fine in 1080.

You'd have to ask Bill Gates for that. danger! beware!!  

No, but seriously, that's good news I suppose! Windows systems have strange machinations sometimes, especially with regards to file & folder-permissions. I think I mentioned it above, but this is the reason I am using that "hidden Admin" account on Windows 10. Since then I've never experienced any more problems on that end.

Windows 7 already had these hiccups on occasion, but things were still doable for the most part. Things got a lot worse with Windows 8 & 10, however. Killkillkillkill!

do you think it's worth me uninstalling and the reinstalling on my other account, at this point i'm trying anything.

//EDIT

I've been able to change the resolution  Haters gonna hate i just added my graphics card manually following this link http://simlili.tumblr.com/post/146373494212

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Tue 21 Apr 2020, 18:23

Thank you for sharing that @Brandoosh; maybe we can use that as the basis for another tutorial regarding these problems. The Graphics Rules Maker should still work in many cases; though one can also indeed use a different Windows account.

Thanks again, and I will mark this as solved! Talk to my left hand
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top