Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Supernatural Randomly Crashes Without Warning (Please help!) [SOLVED]

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Supernatural Randomly Crashes Without Warning (Please help!) [SOLVED] Empty Supernatural Randomly Crashes Without Warning (Please help!) [SOLVED]

Post by Guest Fri 14 Sep 2012, 21:11

Hi!

I've installed Supernatural over all the other expansion packs I have (all from games4the world), did everything correctly, and the game worked just fine for 2,3 days. But then, today, it randomly started crashing! I didn't get a warning (bluescreen etc) or anything! The computer didn't even start to go slower, nothing, it just, well, turned itself off, like someone plugged it out of electricity. The first time it crashed was wile i played the sims, and after that it crashed again a few times while I was on the internet. Then, after the last crash, I left the computer off for 10 minutes, turned it on and everything looked okay. But then, after playing the sims again for half an hour, it crashed again! And again, and again, while playing the sims. All after half-hour to hour of game playing.

I even put all of the details and textures from the game from high to medium, but that didn't help either.

Please tell me if you had similar problems! I'm not sure if this is related to the sims or my computer (virus maybe?) but it DID start with the sims supernatural.
Note that I haven't had this problem before with any other sims expansion pack.

It would really mean a lot to me if someone helped me with this! :/
Thanks!

Back to top Go down

Supernatural Randomly Crashes Without Warning (Please help!) [SOLVED] Empty Re: Supernatural Randomly Crashes Without Warning (Please help!) [SOLVED]

Post by t2sink Fri 14 Sep 2012, 21:41

Could be overheating, if your using a laptop they are very good on getting their internet fan full of dust which makes it mainly useless in cooling

Could download a CPU temperate monitor to confirm, one I use does logs so when my computer randomly crashes I check it and oh yeah, I see why it crashed without any info.

I also used a small dual window fan and had that running to help move the exhaust away from my computer, which worked nicely until I opened my computer and cleaned the fan, and I managed to get a good size dust bunny, like almost the size of a cotton ball.

Edit: Since I'm not sure if this is the exact reason because I read this https://games4theworld.forumotion.com/t7045-pc-crashes-during-sims-3-game and it describes the same, just would vote overheating more likely then bad/defective graphics card.
t2sink
t2sink
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP
Discharged with Honors
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)

Favourite games : Sims 3, Roller Coaster Tycoon 2, Minecraft, RPG World Online, AoE 2/3, Command And Conquer, SimCity, Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds, MW2/MW3, Halo Reach, Borderlands, Halo 4

Male

Back to top Go down

Supernatural Randomly Crashes Without Warning (Please help!) [SOLVED] Empty Re: Supernatural Randomly Crashes Without Warning (Please help!) [SOLVED]

Post by Guest Fri 14 Sep 2012, 22:07

Hey, thanks for the reply!

I've though about that too, but the fan seems fine - it works well, and even if it was dusty, could that really turn off the computer? I've also tried to find a program that would specify my computers CPU temperature, but couldn't find any for free that looked like it didn't carry a bunch of viruses with it. Also, the computer is not a laptop and it's old only one year so I guess it's not the graphic card either.

On the other hand, what about this - "What about the DEP fix, did you do that one too? (Adding ALL the game's .exe files to the system's DEP)" What is this? Should I do it and can it help me? And will it mess up my game? WhatDidUJustCallMe?

Thanks again! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ Fri 14 Sep 2012, 22:19

Hello,

The DEP will definitely not mess up your computer. There are more things to try here.
Don't underestimate dust though, it's a good idea to open up your case once or twice a year and use a can of compressed air to remove dust.
To find out more about your pc's temperature, you can get Speccy. In addition to a lot of information about your pc, it also lets you read out the temperatures of your various components. Though with a desktop pc, it's much less likely that overheating is an issue.
But do find out if your graphicsdrivers are up to date. Outdated drivers can cause a range of problems.
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix
First Lady / Commander-In-Chief
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix First Lady / Commander-In-Chief

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by t2sink Fri 14 Sep 2012, 22:36

mrmot wrote:Also, the computer is not a laptop and it's old only one year so I guess it's not the graphic card either.

On the other hand, what about this - "What about the DEP fix, did you do that one too? (Adding ALL the game's .exe files to the system's DEP)" What is this? Should I do it and can it help me? And will it mess up my game? WhatDidUJustCallMe?

Thanks again! Smile

Custom build or Store bought? Also have you opened it up and confirmed everything is plugged in tightly, unlikely scenario but still has a chance, mainly the fan over the CPU, since other fans won't make a big difference.

Lady ElDi wrote:Hello,
Don't underestimate dust though, it's a good idea to open up your case once or twice a year and use a can of compressed air to remove dust.
But do find out if your graphicsdrivers are up to date. Outdated drivers can cause a range of problems.

Instead of compreesed air, using a vacuum does a good job, and it doesn't put all that dust back into the air, and you can pull the dust out the way it went it.

That they can, any programs has it bugs/faults, some companies leave them in, or don't know about it. And updating it to provide better function can help.
t2sink
t2sink
Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)

Favourite games : Sims 3, Roller Coaster Tycoon 2, Minecraft, RPG World Online, AoE 2/3, Command And Conquer, SimCity, Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds, MW2/MW3, Halo Reach, Borderlands, Halo 4

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 14 Sep 2012, 23:40

Hey guys!

The computer is store-bought. I have checked if the driver is up to date (like this http://www.ehow.com/how_8458369_check-graphic-drivers-uptodate.html) and it says it's up to date. I will try dusting, checking all the inside plugs (all the plugs on the outside are ok) and doing the DEP thingies and all the other stuff Lady ElDi recommended, tomorrow. Will post if any of these things make a change!

Btw, i've downloaded Speccy (Thanks for the link Lady ElDi) and it says that my average temperature is 93C degrees at the moment (running antivirus, google chrome, photoshop cs5 and winamp at the moment)

Back to top Go down

Post by t2sink Sat 15 Sep 2012, 00:20

mrmot wrote:Btw, i've downloaded Speccy (Thanks for the link Lady ElDi) and it says that my average temperature is 93C degrees at the moment (running antivirus, google chrome, photoshop cs5 and winamp at the moment)

If you get your CPU much warmer it could boil some water. Very Happy

Have your programs been running long or has the temperature stabled out?

Maybe try to run Sims 3 for a half a hour or so, and every like 10 minutes switch back to the desktop to check the temp, the program I use is Core Temp which I can set it to start up a file, I have a text document that says overheating warning once it hits a certain temp, just annoys me since once it gets to that temp it just keeps going up/down around it, so it opens a new text document each time. >>
t2sink
t2sink
Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat 15 Sep 2012, 00:36

mrmot wrote:Hey guys!

The computer is store-bought. I have checked if the driver is up to date (like this http://www.ehow.com/how_8458369_check-graphic-drivers-uptodate.html) and it says it's up to date. I will try dusting, checking all the inside plugs (all the plugs on the outside are ok) and doing the DEP thingies and all the other stuff Lady ElDi recommended, tomorrow. Will post if any of these things make a change!

Btw, i've downloaded Speccy (Thanks for the link Lady ElDi) and it says that my average temperature is 93C degrees at the moment (running antivirus, google chrome, photoshop cs5 and winamp at the moment)
Hello there,

AAWWWHH! My eyes!!! Shocked
Don't just trust what the wrote there at eHow.
ALWAYS(!) look for updated GPU drivers on the manufacturer's website manually - always!

Please provide me with the following information, so I can find the correct driver for you:

1. GPU model.
2. Operating system.
3. 32- or 64-bit?
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator
GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder
G4TW RETIRED Adminator GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 15 Sep 2012, 11:04

will try checking out the temperature while playing the sims now!

@admin
haha yes yes I know Smile I'm just not really familiar with drivers etc even though I spend most of my time on the computer Smile
Anyways,
here's the info:
amd radeon hd 6450
Windows 7 Home Premium
64-bit

Back to top Go down

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ Sun 16 Sep 2012, 09:33

mrmot wrote: it says that my average temperature is 93C degrees at the moment (running antivirus, google chrome, photoshop cs5 and winamp at the moment)

Hello,

Are you sure about that? 93C? I would expect it to start melting, are you sure its not 93F?
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix
First Lady / Commander-In-Chief
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix First Lady / Commander-In-Chief

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun 16 Sep 2012, 12:59

Hello,

This is what you need to update your GPU drivers: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx
Don't forget to restart your PC after installing the actual driver.
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Sep 2012, 12:43

Hey guys!

Yes, it was around 93 C ! And I figured out it shuts down around 95-100 C, and the Sims made it go all the way up to 100 C.
I figured out that there's something definitely wrong with the cooler - I checked for dust and it was fine, but the little box above it (that has something to do with electricity I think) was full of it! So I cleaned that, and the computer is a bit better but still goes up to 95 C. It obviously has some problems with the cooler and I will check that out in the store where I bought it, since it's only one year old.

In the meantime, as a temporary solution, I've opened it up, laid a fan horizontally next to it so it can send cold air right to the cooler and it works like a charm! Smile

@admin will check out that update! Thank you!

Thank you all for helping btw! Even though it turns out it's not so much of a sims-related issue!

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon 17 Sep 2012, 18:46

Hello,

Oh, in that case, yes, the PC shuts down to protect your PC components. It's a built-in security mechanism.

Anyhow, can we assume this is is solved now? Please let us know if you need more assistance or advice on this matter.
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 07 Oct 2012, 17:44

Hey! Sorry for the late reply!

Yes, I think we can consider it solved Smile

Thanks again everyone! Your the best!

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue 09 Oct 2012, 21:59

Hello,

You're most welcome!
I'll now close this topic, please let us know if you need any more assistance! Supernatural Randomly Crashes Without Warning (Please help!) [SOLVED] 611149516
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top