Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Installing expansions. [SOLVED]

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Installing expansions. [SOLVED] Empty Installing expansions. [SOLVED]

Post by Guest Mon 23 Mar 2015, 02:09

I started with the "Sims 3 Complete" from a torrent site, but all documentation points here.  I couldn't get it to work;  block it in the firewall and it just gives me "Could not connect to the internet.  Please try agin later.";  don't block it and it asks for a registratoin number (and doesn't accept the one used for installation).  So I came here to see what I screwed up and found "The Fix".  The instructions stated I needed at least one expansion from its list installed for The Fix to work;  the one on that list I knew I wanted was Seasons, so I installed that and The Fix and the game is running, have played a trial sim through about a week.  But I have a few questions now.

1 -  Nearly everything I've read said the expansions must be installed in order (starting with World Adventures, ending with Into The Future), a few places state they can be installed in any order.  Currently all I have is the base game and Seasons, can I just install whatever else i want in any order?  or should I uninstall everything and start over?

2 - Can save games from my old version (V1.0.631 from the old Razor1911 torrent) be loaded in this version?  (I've noticed the save file format is quite different.)

3 - I have blocked Sims 3 in my firewall (it wants to contact everything from Farcebook, Twitter, and googleanalytics to sites identified only by IP number;  must be at least two dozen sites).  When I exit the game it sits there with the loading circles running til I get irritated and ALT+TAB out, where i see a pop-up from my firewall that Sims 3 is trying to contact some website.  If I allow that the game ends, or I can just kill the process in Task Manager.  Am I singularly blessed in this annoyance or is there a way around this ...short of allowing the game to "phone home" to every blessed site on the web.  (I had the Razor1911 version completely blocked with no problems other than a notice in the loader window that it couldn't connect.)

Back to top Go down

Installing expansions. [SOLVED] Empty Re: Installing expansions. [SOLVED]

Post by Sim Architect Wed 25 Mar 2015, 22:29

You don't need to block anything on the firewall. Please take a look on the video below and let's know if you got it working after following the same steps.

Happy simming!

Tea 5 Tea 5
Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator
The Gray Eminence :p
G4TW HONORARY Moderator The Gray Eminence :p

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Plants vs Zombies, The Sims 3, Cities Skylines, The Sims 4

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 25 Mar 2015, 23:24

Thanks for responding. A 25 minute video?! Sorry, I can read fifty pages in that time.

But I have the game running fine, have accumulated a dozen or so hours playing now. I removed all references to Sims3, EA, and Origin from my firewall (some listings were leftovers from a "free" copy of Dead Space offered by Origin last year ...removed after only one day when I found it had to "phone home" every time it was started) then, when I next started the game, blocked everything. The only oddity is after exiting the game (an interminable procedure of four to five minutes of a black screen with the loading circle running) there is a greyed out icon for the Download Manager left in the system tray; right-click and "exit" and it is gone. Have added Riverview and some CC which appears and functions so all seems well ...so far.

Found I could import my old save game; V1.67 merely asked to replace the central park, and my sim complained they could no longer find a path to sit at their computer (had to sell the desk and chair then purchase and place them again to clear that).

So now the remaining question is - can I install other expansions in any order? Currently it is still just the base game and Seasons.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Thu 26 Mar 2015, 00:44

jgf wrote:Thanks for responding.  A 25 minute video?!  Sorry, I can read fifty pages in that time.

But I have the game running fine, have accumulated a dozen or so hours playing now.  I removed all references to Sims3, EA, and Origin from my firewall (some listings were leftovers from a "free" copy of Dead Space offered by Origin last year ...removed after only one day when I found it had to "phone home" every time it was started) then, when I next started the game, blocked everything.  The only oddity is after exiting the game (an interminable procedure of four to five minutes of a black screen with the loading circle running) there is a greyed out icon for the Download Manager left in the system tray;  right-click and "exit" and it is gone.  Have added Riverview and some CC which appears and functions so all seems well ...so far.

Found I could import my old save game;  V1.67 merely asked to replace the central park, and my sim complained they could no longer find a path to sit at their computer (had to sell the desk and chair then purchase and place them again to clear that).

So now the remaining question is - can I install other expansions in any order?  Currently it is still just the base game and Seasons.

Hello,

After you updated the base game with the latest 1.67 manual patch, you can install expansions in any order you like. The thing with the "right order" is a remnant of past times. Yes, in the past, you needed to install them in a certain order, but things change. You always need to keep yourself updated with the latest available information. Those people suggesting to install in order are mostly those who had some idea about installing TS3 back then (in 2010 or 2011), but are now "out of touch" with the latest develoments. Very Happy

Out of interest: are you using the base game from Origin or the one from our "Complete Collection" of TS3 ? 

Sure, many .exe files "phone home" nowadays (and in many cases, if you simply block the cracked .exe in the firewall, then the software/game won't run). But I never bothered to block the TS3W.exe in the firewall. Why should I ? In my case, I don't use any social media (I do have some fake accounts, though), and not many financial tranactions over the net. And yes, what is anybody going to do about the many millions of people who have a pirated Sims 3 game, and do not block it in the firewall ?

//EDIT

jgf wrote:A 25 minute video?! Sorry, I can read fifty pages in that time.

Of course, nobody forces you to watch that. I assume your intentions weren't negative, but the length of the video & the previous posting should not diminish Sven's effort to help you out. Smile  I do not need to tell you that in other places, you do not get ANY (meaningful) reply at all to your questions. 

Also, you will have noticed this topic here, which is linked to at the top of the forum's main page. Here:

Installing expansions. [SOLVED] 7g33Fxf

Which in turn links to the following page, and should answer all your questions regarding the installation of Sims 3:
https://games4theworld.forumotion.com/t1171-must-read-how-to-install-the-sims-3-correctly

It is meant to be read in case of issues with TS3, and that tutorial should also suffice, if you really wanted a quick fix to your issues.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sim Architect Thu 26 Mar 2015, 15:45

jgf wrote:Thanks for responding.  A 25 minute video?!  Sorry, I can read fifty pages in that time.

But I have the game running fine, have accumulated a dozen or so hours playing now.  I removed all references to Sims3, EA, and Origin from my firewall (some listings were leftovers from a "free" copy of Dead Space offered by Origin last year ...removed after only one day when I found it had to "phone home" every time it was started) then, when I next started the game, blocked everything.  The only oddity is after exiting the game (an interminable procedure of four to five minutes of a black screen with the loading circle running) there is a greyed out icon for the Download Manager left in the system tray;  right-click and "exit" and it is gone.  Have added Riverview and some CC which appears and functions so all seems well ...so far.

Found I could import my old save game;  V1.67 merely asked to replace the central park, and my sim complained they could no longer find a path to sit at their computer (had to sell the desk and chair then purchase and place them again to clear that).

So now the remaining question is - can I install other expansions in any order?  Currently it is still just the base game and Seasons.
Thanks for the input! I will timecode the video into chapters, so you everybody will be able to jump to the section they desire, would it be a good fix in your opinion? I wanted to make a full tutorial to help people goingh through each little step of the way, but I agree with you that some steps are repetitive, since it shows the installation of each and every EP/SP.

Please accept my apologies if I annoyed you in any way with the solution I offered.
Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 27 Mar 2015, 21:18

Thanks for all the input.

SvenT, I meant nothing disparaging about the video; nor was I annoyed. All assistance is appreciated. It's just that I find written instructions much easier; I read very quickly and can scan back and forth to a previous point more efficiently than watching a video. And I realize that today i am probably in the minority in that respect. (I recently posted instructions for someone inquiring how to do something in a graphics program. Instructions I thought simple and concise - Open this menu. Select that item. In the pop-up window uncheck the box and type this in the space below. Click OK and you're done. The response? "Thanks but that's complicated. Do you have a video I can watch?") But your idea of chapter markers sounds good, especially for someone who isn't installing all the expansions.

Carlos, that's what I wanted to hear. My confusion was due to as many forums recommending a specific install order as ones stating install whatever you like in whatever order; and a couple stating random was OK but the original order was more stable. And some sites said the crack must be reapplied after some expansions (I don't plan on installing all of them, which further increased my confusion).

My base game, the 1.67 update, and the expansions, are from "The Sims3 Complete", a 27gig torrent whose documentation pointed to this site (don't recall from where I got the torrent file; at one point I had eight or nine different torrent files for either V1.67 alone or the complete game). I had to download "The Fix" from here to get it working, but all seems well now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sim Architect Sat 28 Mar 2015, 00:55

Glad to hear that. Good you got everything working. Instead of time coding my video, I am splitting it into chapters, so people might be able to pick the version they like better (the single 25 min video or a couple dozen tiny ones with specific instructions for each step of the way). I am remaking the audio of some stuff and posting the chapters as I make them.

I am thankful for your feedback anyway, since feedback is essential for me to make my stuff better, so more people will watch and find it useful.

I should have posted the link to this Forum's topic related to the subject together with my video, it was a mistake I made that day, but then I found out Carlos posting the link after my video and I got what I made wrong, so that's another thing...

Since you solved your problem, may we close the topic? I'll be waiting your reply Wink

Meanwhile, happy simming!

Tea 5 Tea 5 Tea 5
Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 28 Mar 2015, 20:09

Lol, these questions were answered, so you may do with this thread as you see fit. While my computer experience dates to the days of TTY terminals and acoustic couplers I've only been playing Sims3 a couple of months, so expect more noob questions.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sim Architect Sun 29 Mar 2015, 00:41

Great! Problem solved, topic closed.

Have a very happy simming!!!

Tea 4 Tea 4 Tea 4
Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator

Windows version :