Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Changing Sims 4 folders from original place

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Changing Sims 4 folders from original place Empty Changing Sims 4 folders from original place

Post by Guest Fri 01 Jul 2016, 02:22

Hello,

I was just wondering if, after I've already installed and cracked The Sims 4, I could change its folders from one of my hard drives to the other, seeing as I have more space in one than the other?

Thank you

Back to top Go down

Changing Sims 4 folders from original place Empty Re: Changing Sims 4 folders from original place

Post by Guest Fri 01 Jul 2016, 11:20

I just moved the The Sims 4 folder from D:\Program Fils(x86) to my external drive Z:  (using Cut and Paste).
The game still works perfectly.
Of course you will have to create a new shortcut of the file TS4_x64.exe (or TS4.exe) from the new location of your The Sims 4 - Game - Bin folder

EDIT: Much to my surprise, by using Cut and Paste even the original shortcut was amended to the new location. So no need for a new shortcut afterall.

Back to top Go down

Changing Sims 4 folders from original place Empty Re: Changing Sims 4 folders from original place

Post by Admin Fri 01 Jul 2016, 11:31

Hi there,

Alternatively, I also recommend taking a look at this guide: https://games4theworld.forumotion.com/t19572-how-to-move-the-sims-4-to-another-partition-after-installation-fix

Note that you should only use this method of copy 'n pasting with The Sims 4. Do not use this method to move "normal" installations to another drive, as this will mess everything up. (Since the Registry keys won't be pointing to the correct installation location any more)
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator
GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder
G4TW RETIRED Adminator GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 01 Jul 2016, 12:06

Admin wrote:Hi there,

Alternatively, I also recommend taking a look at this guide: https://games4theworld.forumotion.com/t19572-how-to-move-the-sims-4-to-another-partition-after-installation-fix

Note that you should only use this method of copy 'n pasting with The Sims 4. Do not use this method to move "normal" installations to another drive, as this will mess everything up. (Since the Registry keys won't be pointing to the correct installation location any more)

The register still states that the Sims 4 is on my original location D:\Program Files (x86)\The Sims 4.
I ran Eusing Free Register Cleaner, expecting that it would find an unallocated entry, but it didn't
Rebooted the computer.
Register still shows drive D
Checked Original location, no The Sims 4 in drive D.
Game still works perfectly from drive Z

I cannot explain it, but at least for The Sims 4, Cutting and Pasting the folder has no influence on the game inspite of incorrect registry-entries.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 01 Jul 2016, 13:32

Admin wrote:Hi there,

I didn't find that fix so that's why I made a topic. I knew you guys had it somewhere.

Thanks so much Yess, aye lieeke!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 01 Jul 2016, 13:33

Tarac wrote:I just moved the The Sims 4 folder from D:\Program Fils(x86) to my external drive Z:  (using Cut and Paste).
Of course you will have to create a new shortcut of the file TS4_x64.exe (or TS4.exe) from the new location of your The Sims 4 - Game - Bin folder

EDIT: Much to my surprise, by using Cut and Paste even the original shortcut was amended to the new location. So no need for a new shortcut afterall.

Thanks so much. This was very useful Yess, aye lieeke! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 01 Jul 2016, 14:16

TheDoctor917 wrote:
Tarac wrote:I just moved the The Sims 4 folder from D:\Program Fils(x86) to my external drive Z:  (using Cut and Paste).

Thanks so much. This was very useful Yess, aye lieeke! Very Happy
 The saves and all of that still work right? No problems?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 01 Jul 2016, 14:25

Saves are still in Documents - Electronic Arts - The Sims 4 and that folder is not moved.
So all your game-efforts remain as they were.
You only moved the installation, not the results of your game

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Fri 01 Jul 2016, 21:12

Tarac wrote:I cannot explain it, but at least for The Sims 4, Cutting and Pasting the folder has no influence on the game inspite of incorrect registry-entries.

A lot of modern pirated games are "portable" by default. Meaning, you can freely move the install folder around as you wish without worrying about the registry. As for The Sims 4, the only registry entry to my knowledge that is used, is the one for the language (locale & GDFBinary). The install location-entry doesn't matter at all.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 02 Jul 2016, 00:38

Tarac wrote:Saves are still in Documents - Electronic Arts - The Sims 4 and that folder is not moved.
So all your game-efforts remain as they were.
You only moved the installation, not the results of your game
Thanks so much! Yess, aye lieeke!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 02 Jul 2016, 00:41

Thank you to everyone! Yess, aye lieeke! Very Happy Cool Great help. A lot of cool people in these forums.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top